Smitten With The Magnepan LRS

I wonder if the upgraded stands to the .7 would fit the LRS. I have no idea of the speakers differing dimensions

The photo of the stands on the website says LRS, .7, MMG, MG12 for the same set of stands

Edit to say that’s for the “Slimline 2”

While this video does not address stands, this is an informative discussion comparing the LRS to the .7’s. In another video, these same guys say the LRS and .7’s, like all Magnepan speakers, sound best in a vertical position vs tilted.

Great. More confirmation then. So I was wondering if those stands you see on the .7 in that pic would work on the LRS.

The oval acrylic base? I’m not sure if it fits the LRS. It’s not offered as a LRS option. Likely would require a call to a Maggie dealer as the pool of buyers who have had a LRS and .7 in their home simultaneously is small. Magnepan gives full $650 trade in value for the LRS for one year. Which means the LRS are out the door before the .7 arrive.

Good question.

I think the legs on those oval things screw into the bottom of the frame, so if the LRS has channels for bolts down there, it might work.

I mulled over some homemade options for my .7’s using a bottom-mounted stand, but I think the rear-mounted anchors provide much better stability.

Here is a home made option for stands for 1.7’s. These are painted mdf with 1 inch spikes
and aluminum plates to hold down the stock stands to the risers. I did this because after market
stands do not decouple from the floor. The sonic results were as others have discussed with
the biggest improvement in tightening up the bass. I did not compare this to custom stands offered
in the market. The other thing is that these offerings take the panel to heights that are taller than
my ear to the center of the Mylar, which sounds best. Tilting the panel does not sound right to
me when reducing high frequency directivity.

9 Likes

I think the answer is no. The LRS screw channels appear to be located wider than then.7’s…

Excellent new LRS video review. Thomas explains it perfectly.

So which amp should I use with the LRS, my Mark Levinson 432 or the M700 monos. Which has the most current? Just wondering.
Brent

I have the M700 and just love them, but would use the Levinson for the Maggies.

1 Like

If I had both, I doubt I’d be able to resist the temptation to try them both.

It would be helpful if amps had a high current rating. But they don’t. Anecdotally from reading forums, Maggie folks seem to like Pass Labs and Bryston. I speculate your Mark Levinson would be amazing.

Thanks all. Will try the ML first.
:ok_hand:

If you have both, try both and use the one you like. I absolutely love the sound of my .7s driven by M700s, but then I’ve never owned any Levinson gear.

2 Likes

While I continue to enjoy the LRS and am absolutely keeping them, they do rattle every once in awhile. I’m 6 weeks into to the 3+ month waitlist for a MagnaRiser after market stand, which is supposed to solve this annoying issue. In August MagnaRiser got a glowing review in The Absolute Sound which has substantially slowed the one man operation. But if you’re interested in the LRS, add 3rd party stands to the budget. Mine were about $300 shipped to Hawaii.

Maggies clearly don’t need to break-in, right? Martin Logans and Magnepans are good to go right out of the box.

Placed my order for a pair of Mag LRS’ on Monday. Eric Norgaarden was most helpful. Fifteen long weeks . . .
Waiting to hear back from Robert Raus at Magna Risers about which stand to buy. Then it will be a call to PSA to complete the system.

1 Like

They do need to break in. The bass panels in particular. Same w Logan woofers. I have both.

2 Likes

I agree with @timm. I’ve had two pairs in my life - MG1s (1978-1998) and .7s now (2019-). I didn’t time the MG1s back then, but I remember them changing over the first couple of months I had them. With the .7s, the tonal/timbral character changed slightly over the first 40 or 50 hours, and the bass continued to develop up to about 200 hours or so. Not that they sounded bad right out of the box. They were great, but they improved with a little bit of time in use.

1 Like