SMPS or LPSU into Stellar P3—does it matter?

I have nearly all sources and either their PC direct into the P3 (REGEN) or a couple being fed dedicated linear power supplies, which are then plugged into the P3. My Integrated (a Naim SuperNait2) is plugged directly into a 20a dedicated wall outlet.
I have just acquired a Chord DAC with a 5v SMPS that I will use the last REGEN outlet on the P3. It got me thinking since I have no other switch mode PSUs in my system, and I cannot seem to find anything directly related to the question: does it matter what PSU—either SMPS or LPSU—is used on a component if it is being fed into a PS Audio Power Regenerator? Doesn’t the P3 in this case work the same, at least in the end-result, for either design?
I pose the question because I will not be getting an LPSU for the Chord DAC anytime soon (funds at the moment), and everyone says the supplied switch mode is terrible in comparison to any number of fora-wide touted LPSUs. This, of course, doesn’t take into consideration the effects of a power regenerator, which honestly I’d like to know what they provide within the context of an SMPS, myself. In other words, they matter if plugged into a wall outlet; but do they matter to the P3?

Imho, SMPS works at a much higher frequency than PP can deal with, so, potentially, the switching noise will be present. It may, however, be filtered out by other equipment, depending on their power supply design.

1 Like

Interesting. It is Chord’s 5v micro-USB-type supply provided with the, in this case, Qutest DAC, which the designer swears by, but which is a SMPS nonetheless. It is claimed to have been chosen/designed purposefully, but with the Internet you read in halves; throw in system-dependency, too. I was less interested in all that and more interested in finding out if a power regenerator like the P3 or P10 or P20 deals with it in a way that makes it a non-issue and how. Thank you for your response! I suppose then that it would mean it also makes no difference if I plugged it directly into a wall outlet in the listening room, which is on dedicated 20a lines.

Or try it on another circuit. This will give the high frequency junk a place to dissipate and not impact the dedicated 20a for audio.

You really have to try these difference options for yourself in your system to see if you hear a difference or not. It’s simply not black and white.

I think most smps concern is noise on the output, not all of them would feed back the noise back to mains. Most likely it was designed to minimize the noise on the output side. Since it is rather a small power device, the noise on the mains side would be low, if any.

1 Like

I have 15a circuits in my office which is in the next room, but wouldn’t that just bring up another kettle of fish, or are you saying it’s a form of isolating the noise? I suppose I hadn’t thought of that. It would require that I find a long(er) extension of some kind, which isn’t ideal.
Anyway, I’m rambling. You’re right in that I just have to try it out. I just posted to see what folks here thought the P3 would or would not be able to do. Thank you.

Yes, the high frequency junk the SMPS (potentially) puts back on the line would have time to dissipate along the run back to the panel. Contrary to popular belief, SMPS can be made with low noise. The bad name comes from the 5c ones we get ‘free’ with every piece of tech device. Don’t discount it before trying it.

2 Likes