Sneak peek Stellar Strata Amplifier

My guess is, somewhere between 300-400 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

Actually, I have misspoken. It appears PSA rates the stellar amps into 4 ohms, and, the BHK amps into 8 ohms.
I guess it’s a marketing thing. Seems a little misleading!
Sorry about the confusion on my part.
I guess that would put it closer to 100w/channel into 8ohms.

Sorry for doubting your conclusion. Right you are!

Huh? All ratings are given @ both 8 and 4 Ohms. The naming convention is different but the ratings are consistent across all lines.

The issue on hand was reading into Paul’s claims of the amp having 200 wpc, without explaining into what load.
Also in his videos, Paul always refers to the stellar amps rated power into 4 ohms, not 8. Combine that with the naming method, and the result is more than a bit misleading, IMO.

Yes thanks, but the naming method is NOT straight forward. BHK 300 is 300 watts into 8 ohms. That is exactly what I would expect it to be. Naming an amp, Stellar 1200, that is 600 watts into 8 ohms, is, misleading in my opinion. That was what our discussion was about. I know how to read, thanks.

2 Likes

Consistency seems to be rather difficult.

maybe @paul or @Chet4 can shed some light!

I believe that is the 4Ω rating, so 200 watts per channel into 4Ω and half that into 8Ω. I am checking to be certain, but that’s what sticks in my memory.

100 watts @ 8 ohms? That doesn’t sound right…

Why doesn’t that sound correct? It’s 200 @ 4Ω, and 100 @ 8Ω. That’s pretty standard.

Huh, I dunno, for some reason I thought it was the same as the S300…

My bad. ( I think I also first read it as 200 watts per and assumed that was at 8 ohms)

Paul’s right. It’s a completely different output stage from the S300.

1 Like

Yeah, that actually makes more sense. I would expect the separates to have a bit more oomph. Although 200w at 4ohms is certainly enough to drive most speakers. Not sure about maggies, but most current speakers are relatively efficient.

Good companion to all those high effective horn speakers out there.

2 Likes

Yeah, tough to say. If I were a Maggie owner, I’d likely want a bit more power at my disposal. That being said, we have quite a few people running their new LRS with the Sprout100. We’ve only heard incredible feedback from these people. So depending on the model, could actually be a sweet system.

2 Likes

I just got rid of my LRS’s as they were shutting down one or both of my Emotiva XPA-100 monoblocks (440wpc @ 4ohms) at even medium volume. I switched to a pair of Wharfedale EVO 4.2’s and never been happier.
It would be interesting to see how the Strata does with them. I think Stellar folks drive maggies ok, mine were just very thirsty…

2 Likes

Will Sprout shut down if overloaded?

Dang Stonefree, how loud do you listen? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I hope to hear the 4.2s this year at AXPONA. I’ve only heard fantastic things about them.
Yes, it will protect itself if needed.

2 Likes

Really interested in the Strata. I currently run the GCD/S300 stack into a set of EVO 4.2 and love this setup!

1 Like

Ahhh, yes. This is a different amplifier module. We spent a good deal of time tuning and voicing Strata to work as a single entity. Like we do with the S300 or too M700s. The trick with designing these products is to understand how they work together as a whole
and then voice them to that. It’s a great opportunity to get things right. For example, on the S300, we were able to design an Analog Cell specific to the ICE module inside so that together, they make a great whole. Then, take the M700. This uses quite another
ICE Module so the Analog Cell inside it is very different - and you wind up with a perfectly voiced amplifier.

Strata was even more of a chance to get things right. Because we can control the entire chain from source to amplifier output, the opportunity for synergy is magnified manyfold. Instead of working backwards from the specified amplifier module,
as we did in the Stellar amps, we chose the ICE module on the chain before it. The one we used is one of ICE newest products and it uses some of their latest technology that sounds incredible. Its sound qualities perfectly match the new DAC and reworked preamp
inside Strata.

Strata was a fun project because of the opportunity to hand tune and voice every aspect of the chain. What you wind up with is a product whose sum is far great than its parts.

Can’t wait for you all to hear this beauty. We’re pretty proud of it.

3 Likes