Sneak peek Stellar Strata Amplifier

It’ll easily drive Maggies. And they’ll love it.

1 Like

I run Wharf EVO 4.2 with a SGCD and Emotiva mono’s, and I cannot believe how wonderful it is (I just couldn’t warm up to the Maggie LRS’s…). While I too am interested in the Strata for another system, I don’t think I would replace a Stellar stack with it… The Stellar stack is a damn fine system.
I hope more people discover the Wharfedale EVO line, it’s one of THE best speaker values on the market.

2 Likes

How subwoofers would be best connected to this Integrated?

Best way is high signal output (from speaker connections) for those subwoofers capable of handling that signal, REL’s can.
Otherwise there is an RCA pre out to which you can connect the low signal input of any active subwoofer.

2 Likes

Glad to beta as well if you need to. I’d be testing with a Sumiko sub and a Stellar P3. I’m local so I can even pick-up / drop off if needed.

Y.

Use the RCA analog outputs to feed the subwoofer if it only has a low level input, or if it has a high level input, use the speaker outs (my favorite way).

soooo…

I’m really showing my ignorance here, but does this mean you’d have the main speakers AND the subwoofer coming off the same speaker terminals?

If so, and if you have only one subwoofer, which terminals do you use?

Yes, both main and sub off of the amplifier’s output terminals. The sub’s input impedance is so high no meaningful current flows to the sub, it only sees the signal.

I suggest using the right channel. With most rock and other pop music the bass is centered. With classical, the bass is typically on the right side.

thanks Elk.

Just for the sake of enlightenment, what if you used the positive lead from one channel and the negative from the other?

Would that effectively get both channels? Or only the channel from the positive terminal?

Or would that damage things?

And then there are those Subwoofer manufacturers, ELAC, Canton and other good brands that offer left and right channel input and project the sound of either channel such that you don’t need to worry about it at all. REL are not the only ones that produce good subwoofers. REL may certainly not be bad, but for the price those cost they should offer connections that don’t have to make the user wonder or worry.

2 Likes

There is no upside to using a mismatched positive and neutral. You do not get both channels this way.

I suspect one can do damage in some topographies.

well i like symmetry so that in itself would be a case for two subs :upside_down_face:

Great! You’re on my list. I’ll be reaching out via email in the next few weeks.

REL, and others, offer 3-wire high level connections; one each for the right and left speaker output, and one for ground. With a normal class AB amp one of the speaker ‘black’ return terminals can be used to connect the ground. Class D is different, since the return terminals are not grounded, and for them you normally connect the ground wire to the amp chassis (works for Sprout and Stellar).

1 Like

I didn’t know the high level was for both channels, if I remember correctly they have a single channel RCA called LFE, Iran I wrong?

Will there be capability to stream from local library on Mac?

You can connect to shares on your local network, yes.

1 Like

Yes, there is often a lower level output of both channels combined. I would guess LFE stands for Low Frequency Effects. If it is activated then the lower frequencies appear on it, and are often removed from the standard speaker output. I have found that this makes it more difficult to get a satisfactory integration of sub and speakers than using the high level signal from the speakers themselves.

2 Likes

“…with an updated version of our analog Gain Cell preamplifier…”

Any chance this update will make it into the actual Stellar GainCell? Maybe a 2.0 version?

1 Like

How sweet would that be!? I’ve been telling Paul we need to do something like this. He agrees it should happen but as you can imagine, speakers and transport release are a bit higher priority right now.

1 Like