Snowmass DirectStream Junior

Well it’s DAC with a very high voltage output stage (7V max). There is then an LDR attenuator to stop it from blowing your power amp and/or speakers up. People might argue it’s a DAC with a preamp. But in retrospect I guess it is just a DAC that has a very high output and a volume control. :wink:

So, DAC with digital volume control, only attenuation provided.
Passive preamp, only attention.
Active preamp, gain and attenuation.

For reference if this is useful at all: The DS Sr. directly into my M700s via XLR diving Maggie 1.7i (4 Ohm load) is a fine setup. 50 on the DS is about as loud as I’ll ever go in a normal listening scenario, so I have plenty of headroom. In fact, if I want really light music in the background (small apt), I pretty much have to engage the attenuator.

1 Like

I haven’t been following the other discussions on this forum. I’d there any update on the revised CIP? I assume once that is finished then there’ll be an opportunity for the ps audio guys to test it with the dsj firmware.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts!

The new and improved program for the DS, Snowmass V2 cam out on Friday.

Pretty sure he’s referring to DSJ, not DSSr. And was referring to the PIC code, which has not been done for release up to this point.

I’ve sent a note to someone who should have an idea, but…it’s Monday and all.

Sir, you tease. :sob:

OH! Crap - sorry. My Bad. The PIC code is reportedly close to completion. Assuming this is accurate, and barring unforeseens, of which there have been many with this release, if one were to be optimistic, one might hope for a Friday release.

Having made that dumbass “prediction”, I will continue to check in with the concerned parties, and hopefully have a more accurate guesstimate in a couple of days.

One thing to bear in mind, is this is not a Sony-sized company we are dealing with here. Everyone at PS works very hard and wears a lot of hats.

Which reminds me of the running joke amongst video professionals with regard to Product Announcements made by Sony at shows:

“You know what “Sony” stands for, dont’cha?”

“No…what?”

“September or October of Next Year” ; )

4 Likes

I sympathize with all of this as a software developer myself.

Didn’t a wise man once say, “it is what it is”?

You know it. Pretty sure it was Lao Tsu.

I was going to say, “wise guy”, but I understand that has a slightly different connotation in the US…

It has two main connotations…

Yep, it’s done and in for review. We just moved Music Room One today and need to set it up and get it playing again to audition it and make our final decision. Darren and Mark have already narrowed it down so this should be just a verification. Probably take me all day to get the room set up but Friday’s probably good.

6 Likes

Thank you Paul.

I’m excited for you paul. Getting the new music room up and going will be like rediscovering your system all over again. Can’t wait to see the videos as things move in and are played.

So what WAS the last song in old music room one and what will the first song be in new music room one?? Don’t screw it up!! :slight_smile:

Thanks @Paul

Great choice on that last song! :ok_hand:

Ok…I’ll be the one to ask. Any new news?

The news is that Paul got the IRS-V’s set up in their new home, the PIC code is done, so Paul and Darren need to carve out a time to go through the picks we did and choose one. So it’s looking like Friday could happen (fingers crossed).

5 Likes

The anticipation is palpable! The game is afoot, and the morrow brings us resolution. hopefully…Regardless, thank you all at PS Audio! The release of Snowmass has captured the audio worlds attention and to that I say, “Bravo!”

2 Likes