software update

The WAF factor; is always something to bear in mind…

Different opinions on the various software versions are par for the course. You’ll never know unless you try.

Plus, I think “Dad” likes it…

That is the advantage of s/w choices, you can pick and choose which one works best for you and your system. But trying the different versions is the key here. And because you can ‘go back’ to an earlier choice there is nothing to loose, and much to gain in terms of choosing from several different ‘sounds’ to find the best for you.

JJ

The PWD is unusually ‘tunable’ to your system and preferences. You just have to try out several firmware versions that are intended to address anything but the sonic character of the DAC. :slight_smile:

J.P.

Just bent over the backside of the dad and pwt; my the pwt has also an sd card installed. I suppose going to upgrade to 243 only regards the sd card of the dac. But what’s the other sd card for? Can I use that to load the 243 software? And keep version 202 on the original card? The SD card in the PWT and it’s software can be removed or may it be necessary as backup on SD at a time when PWT software can/wil be issue? Lotta questions.

@wingsounds13: the dac itself will not sound different with new software?

The SD card for the PWT is for changing PWT firmware and to store album art and track information for the unit. If you are not using track and album information (not connected to the Internet) you can use this card for the PWD.

If you want to store the original version of the PWD firmware, just transfer the contents of the card to a computer and delete it off of the SD card prior to installing the new version.

Another option, which works for me, is to put the old software into a folder on the card called “2.0.2,” delete the old firmware from the root directory of the card and load the new firmware onto the root directory. If this does not make sense to you, it is best to save the firmware on a computer. :slight_smile:

OK, thank you Elk.