Sonic Improvements to the BHK Preamp

Outside of the posters that I read on another thread, I can not find anyone else! The posters seemed to be gung-ho on the product and covering the underside top of the BHK Preamp! After I purchased the sheets I decided to lay one of them on the top of the black top before actually doing the Tweak, and I did notice an improvement in sound quality. However I felt it really was not that much of an improvement with the sheet being on the top and not affixed to the underside of the top. The previous posters did not allude to exactly where the sheets were stuck other than to say on the underside of the top. I took it upon myself to use both sheets as can be seen in the above pictures I posted. Again, I do not discount what you and others might be saying with regards to the sheets. However for-me I found it was a very useful improvement it eliminating the EMI & RFI and made my music sound clearer and less electronically-distorted.
I would not call what I did or what I heard being sonically detrimental. I mentioned in my initial post about how smooth the sound is now. So what that tells me is that the product is working as described and that I am now not listening to all the electronic ‘grunge’ as I was before!

But again, it all comes down to what one feels comfortable with and there are lots of variables that come into play both with the room, the equipment and the choice of music recording.
I felt the Tweak was worth the very modest outlay and small bit of DIY to get a more enjoyable and less fatiguing sound.
Remember, Y.M.M.V.

4 Likes

I feel that the change I hear is even more relaxed sound. I would never say the BHK preamp caused any listener fatigue or electronic distortion without the absorbers in place. A blacker background would be a good description.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed input. A smooth sound is always an improvement. I should have mine in a few days. Will report back.

@vmax and I had many back-and-forth discussions on how and where to place the 3M 7050 sheets on the generators, BHK pre, and DS I & II awhile ago.

I checked my BHK Pre, I have a narrow strip right behind the display screen, and a retangular piece behind that covering 1/2 of the transformer. These are placed at the bottom of pre so I don’t need to open the top. As I remember, too much 3M coverage resulted in murky sound. The current layout seems to work the best in my system.

1 Like

This is exactly my point. Thank you.

1 Like