Speaker Grilles

Age old question: on or off?

fabric ‘grill’ likely no biggie, but the frame probably so (inducing diffraction galore)

update: grille not grill (thanks to @NipperDog)

2 Likes

This guy has forgotten when his speakers last had the grill on! YMMV

5 Likes

Grille on! Less obtrusive in a domestic environment, cats claw the fabric rather than the cones and small children do not poke Lego bricks into the ports. Additionally, my Harbeths are voiced with the grille in situ.

6 Likes

yes, had the cat issue, but no cats now

4 Likes

That helps :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Off. Not for sonics, but because I like showing off the drivers and complete coverage custom veneer of my Salk Sound bespoke 7Ms (deeply figured Bubinga). No clawed furry critters to worry about.

2 Likes

Definitely off. I like to see my drivers. And I believe that grill impact sound too, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Definitley off with my Focal Aria 948s…

Best wshes

3 Likes

OP, notice that the correct spelling is grill(e), unless of course your going to be cooking on them. :wink:

2 Likes

nice one

2 Likes

Anyone going to the great speaker grille cook off?

How do you like yours well done, medium rare?
Any sauces on it?

Best wishes

1 Like

Off. Although I only have a desktop system right now, I can still hear a difference compared to when they are on.

I like mine with deli mustard and kraut.

1 Like

Any sides?

I took the grilles off my Meadowlarks many years ago. Good thing I like the naked look, because I was never able to reinstall them. They’re loose, stretchy, fabric “socks” with a some kind of piping or small bead sewn into the perimeter. That bead has to fit into a tiny slot in the cabinet. It takes one of those tools you use to tuck window screen spline into their frames, and at least three pairs of hands to hold the completed portion in place under tension, while moving the tool around the perimeter. Plus the patience of several saints. Sound was identical either way.

The usual: slaw, potato salad.
Tomorrow onto grill cheese sandwiches.

1 Like

Putting a grille on your speakers are like putting a thin layer of veil over your music. Take them off! Put them back on when you’re not listening to music, if your speakers without the grilles are so ugly, you can’t stand to leaving them off.

2 Likes

Unless, like Harbeths, the crossovers are designed to achieve the desired performance with the grille in place!

4 Likes

My thinking as well…

So save the effort and keep the “grilles” off…unless visitors come that may finger poken
mitten grabben vat should not touchen :grin:

Best wishes

3 Likes

My speakers have socks.

2 Likes