Speaker Stands?

A series has a cover as well.

It’s the classic that is not covered and looks like a button to push.

1 Like

Yes, a very squishy button, haha. SA1 has same

Another Spendor owner here. I had home demo of A7s and D9s a few years ago, and chose the A7s. The LPZ tweeter just was not to my liking. Have since moved up to the SP100R2s from that same dealer. They came with the Spendor metal stands, but will most likely replace with Sound Anchors. I love my big Spendors and have no regrets, but I do miss the svelte profile of the A7s.

1 Like

Interesting

What about the sound of the tweeter on the D7 did you dislike?

Thanks

There is no doubt the LPZ tweeter is brighter than classic or A series tweeters. For me that’s a good thing, as I consider it neutral versus A and classic which I consider warmer than neutral.

It’s personal preference.

I’ve listened to many dozens of speakers in long detailed auditions. When I say D series is neutral, for context, a handful of speakers that I found brighter include B&W 800 series, Paradigm Persona, Magico, Focal (all of which have Be tweeters or diamond), off top of head. And on other end of spectrum some that are even warmer than classic Spendor include some Harbeths and others although now that I know where my preferences lie I don’t spend much time listening to models on the fringes of the tonality spectrum.

But one person’s bright is another’s neutral is another’s warm, so better to listen and decide for yourself what you like than to rely on characterizations of others like me.

If you find A series to be occasionally bright, moving to D should be done cautiously

3 Likes

Yeah- I think it’s my room.

Great info thanks!

The wall art acoustic panels are a game changer

kzk stated if perfectly regarding the LPZ tweeters. I wouldn’t call it overly bright by any means, but just brighter than I prefer. Also I prefer the overall coherence of the A and Classic series. I did notice that Spendor released the D9.2 not long after the D9, for whatever that is worth. My dealer has the D9s at home and loves them.

2 Likes

Anyone have experience with the Solid Steel SS speaker stands?

Yes. Not to my liking either with the Harbeths I used to have or my current Salk Sound SS 7Ms. I want full support of my monitors and the smallish top platform of the Solid Steel stands didn’t cut it. Not a viable alternative to Sound Anchors for high performance monitors of the caliber we’ve been talking about here (I use Sound Anchors after dispensing with the Solid Steel stands and some other stands). IMHO …

1 Like

Good to know. My store owner recommends the solid steel over the hi fi racks for some reason, maybe because they’re metal…

He says they sound better.

Thanks

I’m gonna have to do an a/b demo of the D7.2 and the classic 2/3.

Thanks

Let us know which one you select. No wrong answer!

1 Like

Anyone know if a pushed in tweeter is an easy fix?

For those that have the classic on stands, how sturdy is it in terms of being toppled over?

Although these Spendor stands look spindly for the size of the speakers, they are welded steel and very sturdy. I am not concerned they will topple.

2 Likes

Are those DIY stands?

The stands look stout. But could the speaker itself be toppled?

Only if you pushed really hard on the very top of the speaker.

Hm- maybe they’re more sturdy than a tower…could anchor the base and also put something adhesive On Speaker bottom

Any thoughts philosophically on getting a speaker that is a tad bright, with the idea being that you can’t add detail and resolution back in with a warmer speaker? A bright speaker can always have the room treated or tubes added, or different cables.

On the other hand, philosophically I have heard people argue that if you’re trying to change the sound of your speaker to your liking using electronics and treatment, then you got the wrong speaker.

2 schools of thought. Both things can be true, and I get we are all after the right synergy.

1 Like

If you have any thoughts initially that a speaker may be too “bright” for your liking then no matter what you do you will always hear it that way.

1 Like