Sprout 100 + Rel T5i Connection & Crossover Frequency?

Hello. I have a Sprout 100 that I’m pairing with Elac Debut Reference DBR62 speakers and a Rel T5i subwoofer. I’m trying to determine the optimal crossover frequency to set on the Rel. I read a post that suggests the Sprout 100 auto crosses over at 120hz if you have a subwoofer connected to the sub out. Is that true, and if so, does that mean that frequencies under 120hz are not sent to the left/right speakers? The sub sounds very directional if I bring the crossover up to 120. It disappears when I bring it down around 75hz, but I’m not sure if I’m losing sound content between 75 and 120. I suspect not, but I want to confirm. The post I’m referring to is here: https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/ps-audio-sprout100/8065

On a related note, I have seen conflicting information on how best to connect the Rel… via the high-level input or the low-level input. I understand that high-level inputs are best, when possible, but I’m not sure how that can be done with the Sprout’s outputs, or whether I should try.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide.

The Sprout doesn’t change its output when a sub is connected to the sub out. The only thing that happens automatically is it will auto defeat the bass boost (for obvious reasons). Both the speakers and the sub will be receiving full range signal.

It’s up to you whether or not you want to go high level. HL is the preferred method by REL, but wiring in the back of the Sprout100 can be a little tough because of the limited real estate.

1 Like

One way to know for sure whether you’ve crossed correctly is to run a frequency sweep and graph with a spectrum analyzer. REW is free and a UMIK-1 costs $75. There are also some mobile apps and mics that try to make the process easier; but I’ve not tried those.

You can use stackable banana plugs for high-level connection. However, after Paul emailed me that he uses the sub-woofer output at home that’s what I did with my REL and it sounds so good I am not going to bother with an AB test of high-level outputs.

2 Likes

LOL

This is a complete sentence for cryin’ out loud