Status of Tidal/MQA update for Bridge II

For what it’s worth, I bought the DAC-2 in March 2011 and then upgraded my OS to El Capitan in October 2015. They promised an imminent driver update, but after three months it wasn’t happening and they offered to upgrade my DAC for $300. Off to ebay it went.

So, it wasn’t three years; it was four and change. Not the worst support in the world, but still disappointing for a $1500 purchase.

Point is, the PWDII was released in 2012 or so and PS Audio is still supporting it. I am impressed.

Hi Paul / Dennis,

Apologies if I’ve missed it on another thread but is there any update on ETA for the Bridge II MQA/Huron update?

Many Thanks,

Alan

BigAlMc said

Hi Paul / Dennis,

Apologies if I’ve missed it on another thread but is there any update on ETA for the Bridge II MQA/Huron update?

Many Thanks,

Alan

We are still waiting for the final approval from MQA. It should b e released in a couple of weeks or sooner.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

Regards,

Alan

To update everyone, we just signed the contract with MQA and once engineering signs off on the update, we’re releasing it. Maybe this week but probably next.

So now I may have to sign up for a trial Tidal subscription to see what all the fuss is about. 105_gif

It may be your lucky day … if you have an Android or iOS device, download and install the free Sennheiser “CapTune” app. Go into “Settings,” then “TIDAL,” then “Tap to Login,” then “Sign up to TIDAL” and … voila, you can get TIDAL for three months free!

I assume this is for three months of the $19.99/month “TIDAL HiFi” service, because the popup screen states: “In partnership with Sennheiser CapTune, get TIDAL for 3 months free, and then keep listening for $19.99/month.”

Paul McGowan said

To update everyone, we just signed the contract with MQA and once engineering signs off on the update, we’re releasing it. Maybe this week but probably next.

Hi @adminpaul would like to confirm if MQA is supported via Roon?

I haven’t any idea about Roon’s plans for MQA, sorry.

stevem2 said

So now I may have to sign up for a trial Tidal subscription to see what all the fuss is about.

My very superficial view/assumption on MQA is, that for everyone who has an own hires library it's a worsening of quality in playback in comparison.

Just for people streaming from providers it’s the way to use higher resolution files than it was possible until now. That’s why it’s currently meaningless to me.

Wrong on this level?

Bootzilla said

It may be your lucky day … if you have an Android phone, download and install the free Sennheiser “CapTune” app. Go into “Settings,” then “TIDAL,” then “Tap to Login,” then “Sign up to TIDAL” and … voila, you can get TIDAL for three months free

Just an FYI works on the iPhone as well.

Thanks Bootzilla! I wanted to try out the service anyhow, this makes it even better!

Qobuz has gone the opposite route of Tidal (mqa -lossy hi Rez) with streaming up to 24/192. Too bad it’s not available in the US (unless you do a work around thru a VPN…).

Living in the Netherlands I’ve got a subscription to both. Streaming Hi-Res flac from Qobuz works like a charm and delivers equal sound quality compared to same flac files (bought from Qobuz) downloaded and played directly form my Melco (bought albums on Qobuz can also be downloaded in WAV, playing these from the Melco sounds just a little tad better).

I am very eager comparing Qobuz Hi-Res to Tidal mqa, expecting Qobuz to be the winner…to be continued next week

Bootzilla, what does Cap Tune app do?

@jeffstarr : once you have a Tidal account via Cap Tune app you can use your subscription in any app you like (BubbleUpnp, mConnnect etc.)

@Jeffstarr: CapTune is a smart device music player with headphone EQ settings and TIDAL integration. I do not use it myself. I was just passing along info about the three-month TIDAL offer embedded in the app.

wijber said

Qobuz has gone the opposite route of Tidal (mqa -lossy hi Rez) with streaming up to 24/192.

Ah, I didn't know it's possible to stream up to 24/192 flac from public providers. So asumed MQA sounds worse even if covering the same rates (this is what I understood of Paul's explanations before MQA support), there's even less need for MQA soundwise!? And private .aif libraries again sound better than streamed flac anyway.

In my case the main reason to consider trying Tidal is access to their library. Support for MQA is of interest but not the real driver. Whether I go beyond the trial period (if and when I get around to signing up) will also depend on how well it works on my wife’s Squeezebox Touch-based system and whether she likes it.

jazznut said

Ah, I didn’t know it’s possible to stream up to 24/192 flac from public providers. So asumed MQA sounds worse even if covering the same rates (this is what I understood of Paul’s explanations before MQA support), there’s even less need for MQA soundwise!? And private .aif libraries again sound better than streamed flac anyway.

There is no technical need for MQA in streaming Hi-Res for sure. However until now worldwide Qobuz is the only provider streaming native Hi-Res. It's my favorite, with a very large classical and jazz database. They don't up sample themselves (like HDtracks), only providing original recordings. Streaming is in flac, albums you buy (as subscriber mostly at very great discount) can be downloaded as often and in whatever format you like (flac, wav, aif, mp3) up to the highest resolution available.

[edit] quote form a recent Qobuz blog :

"Above all, Qobuz is a streaming brand, which is clearly seen in its turnover for streaming versus downloading. However, Qobuz users show their constant commitment to downloading on a fee-for-service basis, especially customers interested in the new 24-Bit Hi-Res formats. On the other hand, there is a strong demand abroad for a service like Qobuz which has an unrivalled reputation.

That’s why Qobuz, far from abandoning downloading on a fee-for-service basis, will offer a new and improved DSD and Bineal format downloading service at the beginning of September 2017 with albums in multi-channel, a quality already available at Qobuz. And this service will quickly be opening in some new countries."

The latest version of FW for B2 released v3.3.3?

Have anyone received it ?

I have neither seen nor heard anything. Paul previously told us it will likely be next week.

Why do you think it is out and why do you believe it is v3.3.3?