Stellar P3 regenerator first impressions *UPDATED *

Mines been fully powered up for a year with no reason to turn it off.

1 Like

I got mine about 3 weeks now. At first I reported the sound was dull, but now after burning in it sounds much better, instrument and vocal are more real and natural, better instrument separation and soundstage, you can crank up louder without adding digital glare and brightness. I plug all components into it Including DC power supplies except my 350w power amp.

My server is in another room and since I need a streamer, I heard many positive reviews from LUMIN users for its excellent tech support, SQ, and flexibility so I got it. So far I am very happy with it.

I havenā€™t turned mine off since I installed it in my system on the 2nd of this month.

For me thatā€™s never so easy as you say ā€œbut it is easy to decide whether or not they pass or failā€.
You can have e.g. a circuit board that passes testing but soldering donā€™t need to be perfect.

I purchased a P3 last year. My snarky audiophile friend was over a few months ago and we spent a few hours listening to my system. Other than a few nuts and bolts questions, no comments from him. I later asked him for his impression, and after a long pause he said ā€œsounds too . . . perfect.ā€ Two month later he called and asked me about the P3. While my system is certainly not perfect, the P3 added an overall vibrancy and cohesiveness. SQ across the board improved, especially imaging. BHK Pre, DSD, DMP and Auralic G1 all are plugged into regen, BHK 250 amp into high current.

BTW, I ordered another one for the second system in the house during the May sale, a no brainer. And I am OK with waiting; I get it. I have seen supply chains disrupted in my industry this year like never before.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a P3 on the back order list I as well have BHK 250 and BHK Pre along with the Directstream DAC and Memory Player.I am hoping that this regenerator handley out performs my current A/C power source the big boy Furman i20.I plug everything audio into it and it has done the job for over 2 years.I do wonder how well the P3 handles the BHK 250 Amp though can you speak of having any issues pertaining to how your running your P3?

The P3 will be very heavily loaded. Also, youā€™ll find that the sound out of the Directstream and presumably the amp will change significantly until the P3 breaks in.

My BHK 250 is plugged into one of two the high current outlets, everything else into regen. Sounds glorious and have never seen the indicator light go to yellow. I too replaced a Furman unit. You will not be disappointed. Happy 4th all.

The three components that I would be running at any given time in the regen mode according to PS Audios spec sheets for power consumption will total 120 Watts (60-30-30) so I would have to believe that the P3 should handley do fine with this load.

I used to have my BHK250 plugged into the HC outlet on SP3 as well, but I only recently changed it by plugging it directly to the wall - the improvement is eye (or ear) opening; much better dynamic and clearer and yet still pleasing sound. If you have a decent power cord, I highly suggest to give it a try. This is not bashing the SP3 as it does elevate the rest of my system including BHK Pre & DSD, but I just think itā€™s not suitable for anything other than class-D amps.

i have a sp3 on order and will have to m700 amps, bhk pre amp,sgcd,cd transport,bluesound streamer. dont really know if that is to much load for regenerator. cant seam to get a good answer.

If youā€™re planning on running all of this gear on the SP3 regenerated output itā€™s really pushing it, though it could work depending on the efficiency of your speakers.

Hi All
Just a quick question on the power function of the SP3
When you switch the unit into standby mode via the remote should all connected equipment also switch off. Should all outputs on the SP3 switch off when in idle?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this for me
Blue

Yes, placing your SP3 in idle mode deactivates all of its output relays and all connected equipment turns off.

Thank you Elk

I donā€™t use the supplied remote. However, if I press the blue logo switch on the front left I hear relays but power still gets output to the outlets. I suspect this is called Bypass Mode which isnā€™t properly explained in the manual (Iā€™ve emailed support about that).

Interesting. I donā€™t doubt your findings, but that really surprises me. I wonder if anyone from PSA could chime in on why that could be the case.

Support have told me that when I press the blue logo button to switch off, the outputs should be disconnected, so, there must be a faulty relay in my unit.

Five weeks of silence since the owner of the company suggested ā€œdo an update letting people knowā€. How about a crumb or too of news for those of us who have been waiting 2.5 months?