Stellar phono LEDs

I am really happy with my new SPP. It really is a remarkable phono preamp. My only issue is the bright LEDs all over the face of the device as well as the internal LEDs. They are really distracting and wreck the vibe. It’s a little more problematic for me, at I have an eye condition that multiplies bright point sources like those.

Also, in sleep mode, I don’t understand why the guts need to glow like a teen’s gaming PC.

It’s a small gripe relative to the sonic performance of the device. Still, having lived with it for a couple weeks, I find myself wishing I could attenuate those LEDs after startup without voiding warranties or redneck measures.

Any constructive thoughts are welcome

1 Like

Thanks dawkinsj!

I see they also make a version that dims 50-80%. I’ve ordered both and will give that a try. I think they will help me in other areas as well.

Thanks again!

Hope they work out for you.

The internal LEDs are part of the bias circuitry for the gubbins inside, so can’t be dimmed/turned off easily.
I agree, they perhaps could have been shielded (from what I read here they are pretty bright) it’s this new generation of electronics designers you see - brought up on gaming PCs and consoles :wink:
(Respect to Darren et al for being electronics designers!)

1 Like

The BHK pre has red glow during standby that a few seconds after the back switch is turned off. I avoid putting the BHK pre or the Stellar phono on the top of the rack :+1:t2:

Apologies in advance for bringing an old topic back to life. I am loving my SPP, but I would like to have a dimmer room in the evening. The light dimming stickers work great on external leds. Im a little hesitant to use them internally. Are they ok for this task? Or should I use a sharpie or something similar instead that can be easily removed?

Welcome @tralsa

I would imagine it’s better to use something external that could be easily removed. It makes life easier when you decide to sell and upgrade.

I cut a thin piece of black gasket material to size and press fit it in the “long oval” recess this was after the piece of black tape I had covering the led’s previously

It worked for me and I included it when I sold the SPP. I’m sure others have come up with different solutions

Best,
-John

1 Like

Another interesting note about the LEDs inside the Stellar Phono case. I have mine on a shelf below my turntable. 3 meters above is a PIR activated light on the ceiling (so I can actually read labels :)). At any rate the Phono LEDs really confuse the PIR sensor and often turn in out of nowhere!

Welcome!

There are rubber caps that could be used to cover the LEDs, they come in all sizes to best fit them.

1 Like