Stereo rack between the speakers...Bad idea?

Same thought here - wall mount shelf, away from the corner where always the most sound pressure will build. Lots of offers out there:

1 Like

You think you have a problem? Look at my “rack” inbetween :wink:

But coming back to the OP: My actual rack/system is about 5m away, so no real issue with direct vibrations. Theoretically I buy that you should have it separated as much as possible, isolated and not in a corner. But - would you hear a difference if your system in your room would be located elsewhere? Only doing the hard work and giving it a try will answer that question.

Never saw Lowell George, but I saw them around the same time you did, when they re-formed with Craig Fuller. Warmed up for Jimmy Buffett, starting off with Fat Man in the Bathtub, and the cowbell, just like the beginning of Waiting For Columbus. One of my all-time fave live-music experiences ever.

Probably saw them a dozen times after that, but nothing compared to that first show back.

Ok, back to your rack.

1 Like

I’ve decided to find a turntable wall shelf. This is clearly the best option in terms of placement. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

3 Likes

Last week, I had decided I was going to buy a wall shelf. My plans changed before I ordered one. Instead, I decided to try a vibration control shelf that a guy out of San Antonio makes to order.

It arrived today and, thankfully, turned out to be a complete solution to my problem. It allowed me to move my turntable out of the corner and back on to my low shelf.

With my table on the shelf, there isn’t any rumble. None. As a test, this afternoon I listened at levels louder than I would ever actually listen to. I am very pleased with this $220 plus shipping solution.

5 Likes

I like the simple low shelving unit.

1 Like

Cool! Shout out to the mystery shelf builder?

• His Company is Lone Star Audio

• He makes the shelf once an order has been placed. It is made for the dimensions/weight of your specific table. Table weight effects the amount of sorbothane used in the feet. It takes three days to build and get picked up by FedEx. Build quality is excellent.

• He has a sight on Etsy

• On Ebay his seller name is timothy6145

I ordered his top of the line version with lead shot in the center. In my setup, it completely stopped all resonance/vibration issues.

I decided to try the shelf first to avoid screwing a wall shelf in and missing the studs (I’m not too handy) and because I live an hour and 45 mins east of San Antonio. Once FedEx had it in possession, it only took one day to get to me. I’m glad I took the risk.

1 Like