Stereo rack between the speakers...Bad idea?

Kinda goes with the territory.

1 Like

I have had systems both ways and honestly cant tell any difference.

1 Like

I just got a new rack, and do prefer the lower profile. Imaging was never affected with the old setup.

7 Likes

Siting your turntable in a room tri-corner where low frequencies pile-up is a set-up no-no @ Orosie. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you play an LP with significant bass content, you’ll get into trouble as you increase the volume.

Not even hooked up…and rarely if ever listen to vinyl anymore. That corner is storage until I am done re-arranging things. : )

1 Like

I bet this setup is visually less imposing.

The blue speaker finish is fun.

1 Like

Nice!

Indeed.

I really love these Sopras in Audi Blue. Great contrast with all the black, and ties in with the blue PSA logo too! Fun is a good adjective.

1 Like

Big diff in line and in back- if in line, keep the rack below mids/tweeter height and all is good

I’m clearly in violation of both rules. I’m in line and the rack height almost perfectly matches that of my speakers. I just hope the authorities don’t revoke my posting privileges.

4 Likes

If you like it is all that matters

First post here.

When my last kid went away to college, I took over the upstairs game room. I didnt have space for side placement of my components, so I tried to keep the equipment low beneath the mids and tweeters of my speakers. I had to put one taller rack to the right. It becomes a problem at loud spl’s for my turntable. Other than that issue, no effects on performance. Imaging is good. Believe it or not, the center image is rock steady and the stage is fairly wide. I sit nearfield about.12 feet out from the speakers which in turn are out into the room about 2 feet in front of the low rack.

3 Likes

Yikes, I never would have thought 12 feet away was nearfield.

hooray Dixie Chicken!

3 Likes

The room is 40 feet deep so I just always consider 12 feet from the speakers nearfield with 20 feet behind my listening position LOL. Maybe i’m wrong.

no, no, all good.

I just always thought “nearfield” was used to describe a desk-like situation, or at least referring to speakers maybe 2 to 6 feet away or so.

If you’ve got that much room behind you then why don’t you pull the speakers and subwoofer out further and get them away from the rack with the TT? Also try moving the sub to between the speakers so it’s not trying to load into that corner

Thanks for the replies. They’re appreciated.

i can’t go back too much further because I made the mistake of buying my kids a couple full sized arcade games when they were young - yeah, they were for the kids :slight_smile:

I do have a second sub not in the picture back by the game machines.

I would like to move the turntable but really have no good options. The low stand is just a cheap Lack table from Ikea and picks up all sorts of vibration from the subs. The turntable did worse there than in the corner. I use Sorbothane discs under my dac and my disc players as well under my phono preamp. I use Subdude II’s under each sub to decouple them from the floor.

I’m always up for ideas. I am more of a music guy than an equipment guy and my listening is easily 90% streaming.

That said, I consider my table more than decent and
my phono preamp way above that.

Sorry to ramble…4 weeks of staying at home is driving me crazy lol.

Please keep the ideas coming. I’m getting older and I’m not easily offended. There isn’t anyone I associate with here locally who is into anything other than streaming to a bluetooth speaker from a phone…

terzinator, I was fortunate enough to see Little Feat live in 1988 at the T-Bird Riverfest in Austin, Tx. They were still awesome.

I’m new here. Have I drifted too far away from the original topic?

A possible solution to your TT vibration issue that works for me is to look into a 3" maple Butcher Block Audio for under the TT and separate it from the rack shelf with four EVP’s from AV Room Service.

This should greatly reduce your TT vibration issue if your willing to give it a try. The EVP’s are far more effective than the blue foam devices you are using now which are designed for much heavier appliances. I own both so have tried both.

1 Like

@ dmac67 with the window in the wall behind the loudspeakers, it is clearly load bearing and therefore perfect for a wall mount shelf. Why not put the turntable on a sturdy welded steel wall mount turntable shelf (Target, Project, etc ) to the right of the window as low as you can get away with? That will solve your turntable feedback woes.

4 Likes