Substitute for Bridge

I just downloaded the 5407 firmware and tried to install it. Nothing happened, everything still shows up like it is a PWD same as when i tried installing the 6115 update. Do I need to unplug all cables from the DS or another trick before the update takes hold?

I assume the 5407 on the PS website is the same as what went on the SD card with the upgrade kit?

I tried putting both a SD card with unzipped files, and then zipped 5407 files to no avail.

I have the bridge removed from the DS and it still seems to think it is a PWD.

I really have no interest in learning how to mess with the bridge, but that is a brilliant idea to send the bridge back to headquarters and have them re program it as it was a very long and tedious job for me to install the upgrade kit to DS. I prefer not to have that ordeal again.

I live in West Virginia.

It seems I need to figure out how to get the unit to take to the firmware. Currently the blue logo never blinks which is a sign the software is being implemented. And the screen remains a PWD. ??

do you still have the ORIGINAL firmware that came with the kit? [was on the sd card]

kellipah said

Hoping this does not go down as the dumbest story ever!

Not even close. You just got ahead of yourself. Nothing insurmountable and you have not hurt anything.

We first need to get the firmware delivered with the DS upgrade kit installed. As Gordon inquired, do you have the original SD card that came with the kit, or did you save this firmware somewhere?

As I said, I believe the software on the SD card that came with the kit isn’t the same as the software on the downloads page (those are for people who have already completed the upgrade or bought a new DS). You need the card that came with the kit. It has a bunch of extra files the need to be installed after the kit upgrade. If you no longer have that, we need to get you the files off that card. Also, no need to copy the zip file to the card, just the unzipped files.

Ted

Do you know if the 5407 firmware on the PSA support page is identical to what was shipped with the DS kits?

If so, then the 6115 should be the same answer? [ question mark] and if so then it really does not matter which version is used for the upgrade? [another question mark].

Dennis

Can the Bridge be updated for the DS by any means other than on a PWD? and, if so can a PWD owner do the update for someone who has done the DS lobotomy and forgot to do the Bridge first?

[2 question marks].

It would be helpful to grok all this.

Nanu Nanu

I have looked in the box the upgrade kit came in and other places it might have ended up and can not (at least tonight) put my hands on that SD card that came with the upgrade. Heck, I might have even accidentally erased it with the 6115 update or something, as my two SD cards I can put my hands on are unlabeled with no inkling of what they actually were originally.

So if it turns out I need the files sent with the upgrade instead of the files on the download page, I will just get Boulder or one of you guys to send them to me. ?

I just emailed my original files to you. Give them a try and let us know if they work.

Have a good sleep guys and give it another try tomorrow. [leave the DS unplugged overnight.]

It’s gettin" late on the East coast.

TTFN

gordon said Ted

Do you know if the 5407 firmware on the PSA support page is identical to what was shipped with the DS kits?

If so, then the 6115 should be the same answer? [ question mark] and if so then it really does not matter which version is used for the upgrade? [another question mark].

Howdy Gordon

The 5407 firmware files that are in the download section are identical to the SD cards that went out with the kits.

But I don’t know how the new bootloader and the bridge update affect the upgrade, or how they are distributed. Dennis should be able to answer the question better than I.

-Ted

Up early before work this morning. Thank you stevem2 for sending the firmware files. I put them on a SD card (unzipped) and popped them in the DS and it had no response. Same as the files direct from the website. The DS just sits there stubbornly insisting it is a PWD still.

Got to head out for the day, but look forward to tackling and implementing any suggestions ya’ll have this evening. I will check messages this afternoon in case I need to call and speak direct to PSA.

Thanks everyone and happy Monday morning.

Just as a back to basics issue, how are you trying to update the firmware?

Basics:

SD card no bigger than 2GB (sometimes the PWD/DS cares.) No other files on the SD card, but the individual unzipped new firmware files. DS power off. Insert SD card, gold colored contacts up. Power on DS. Wait to see if update takes.

While easy to accomplish, it is also easy to frustrate the update process.

Yes make sure the files are not in a folder on your card.

gordon said

Can the Bridge be updated for the DS by any means other than on a PWD? and, if so can a PWD owner do the update for someone who has done the DS lobotomy and forgot to do the Bridge first?

[2 question marks].

Nanu Nanu

Yes, the Bridge can be updated in a DS even if you didn’t do it in the PWD. Go to the small tool icon on DirectStream’s touch screen, in the upper left corner, and the setup page appears. Making sure the Bridge is plugged into an active Ethernet cable to your router, connected to the internet, touch the option that says “Find Bridge” (if my memory is correct). Then go get lunch. It takes a while.

Paul McGowan said
gordon said

[2 question marks].

Nanu Nanu

Yes, the Bridge can be updated in a DS even if you didn’t do it in the PWD. Go to the small tool icon on DirectStream’s touch screen, in the upper left corner, and the setup page appears. Making sure the Bridge is plugged into an active Ethernet cable to your router, connected to the internet, touch the option that says “Find Bridge” (if my memory is correct). Then go get lunch. It takes a while.

Paul/Dennis

What id the Bridge version shows as 0.0.0.0.0 on the ds front panel.

I am not sure it would have internet access to get an update?

I will try to walk Helen through it but I am a bit in the dark till I try.

gordon said
Paul McGowan said
gordon said

[2 question marks].

Nanu Nanu

Paul/Dennis

What id the Bridge version shows as 0.0.0.0.0 on the ds front panel.

I am not sure it would have internet access to get an update?

I will try to walk Helen through it but I am a bit in the dark till I try.

Any Version Below 0.2,15 will show up on the DS as 0.0.0. If you know the IP address of the bridge, you can still access via a WEB browser. You can get the IP address from your router. If you can’t find the IP address you can still do it from the front panel. Make sure the Ethernet cable is hooked up. Go to the version screen, by hitting the gear in the upper left hand corner. Then press the “Update Bridge” button. Then wait until it is done. It takes a long time, around an hour.

Dennis

kellipah, if you follow Elk and rogerdn’s instructions and it still doesn’t work, try another SD card. Sometimes the DS can be finicky about the card. The DS also seems to like FAT16 best so reformatting the card as FAT16 before you copy the individual files to the card can help.

Good to know there is a way to update the Bridge from the DS.

Hi everyone,

I am taking a break at work and wanted to say that this morning I did the following:

I have two SD cards, both are 2 GB. The first one I re-formatted at Fat16 and put the unzipped 7 or so files of firmware on the SD in a folder, and then tried to run in the DS. Then I got the 2nd Sd card and reformatted it as Fat16 and put the 7 or so unzipped firmware file son it loose, not in a folder and tried running it again.

Both times I turned the power of the DS off, inserted the SD upside down till it clicked, waited 15 seconds or more, then turned the power back on on the DS. Both times nothing happened on the DS screen. In the past, when I tried this, the DS took a few moments to initialize before becoming accessible, but this morning and last night, it did not initialize, just went straight to the regular PWD screen for coax or toslink, whichever I had accessed last.

No blinking blue logo, no sign to wait and let it upload, nothing with either SD card.

I even checked on my computer that the SD cards were reading and showing the firmware on them, which they were.

Will try to check back before this evening again and try to provide more clues and help.

Thanks

kellipah

Sounds like the bootloader on the card is not recognizing a different firmware version. IOW, perhaps the DS thinks the version is already installed.

Do you have the same version on both cards?

If so try loading a different version on one of the cards [contents of the zip file only] and see if it triggers the blinking logo.

I had the same issue with 1/2 dozen new DSs and we got it to work by alternating between the 2 versions til one of them worked.

In a worst case scenario perhaps PSA support might send you an engineering version that WILL overwrite. That worked in one case that I managed.

The original version was 5407 and the more recent update is 6115.

soliver said

As for the original question, I would highly recommend the Bryston bdp-1 or 2.

I have years of experience with this product in another friends system. It has bested a DCS Scarlatti transport. And most recently, I finally got it over to my place to hear in comparison against my bridge on my PWD mk2.

Many have posted that they felt the bridge was the best input for that DAC or at least second behind the PWT. Well I can promise the Bryston trounced the bridge with a crummy Spdif cable of $150 and on an input that had never been used.

I took your advice and opened a thread in General/Streaming, if you would look at it please.

Also see, Link for a helpful suggestion to consider the Bryston BDP-1.