Successor to the DirectStream?

It seems like PS Audio releases a new flagship DAC roughly every two years or so.

With the DirectStream now around a year old, any rumblings about a successor to the DS being in the works?

I have no inside info, but it seems unlikely that Ted has run out of ideas to improve the DS operating system. Given the easy upgradability of the DS, I would expect it to have quite a long life yet. Not to mention the fact that PSA has a lot on its plate now, like a new amp, new preamp, and the Bridge II internal version and later external.

There is much in the works, as always, but nothing concrete enough to speak of. Many projects start and stop and never see the light of day for one reason or another. If you visit PS, ask to see the room full of them. cry

Next up is the BHK Signature amplifier, then Bridge II then a new entry level NuWave DAC, the BHK preamp, all targeted for this summer. There’s one more that is peeking through the far distant clouds, it’s from Ted but it’s not a successor to DirectStream, a product that shall stand alone for quite some time to come.

A multi channel version for the DS would be nice. Very doable from engineering standpoint (lots of available space in the chassis). I believe the Exasound MCH DAC is selling pretty well…

Paul McGowan said There's one more that is peeking through the far distant clouds, it's from Ted but it's not a successor to DirectStream, a product that shall stand alone for quite some time to come.
Paul,dont leave us hanging!!!Give us a hint...

Please check out Meridians MQA - the DirectStream with this processing could be an amazing combo - I just read the about this and I think this algorithm by Meridian is brilliant!

Check this out:

http://www.musicischanging.com/

Harley has a big write-up in TAS. I’m not sure what to think about it yet, if only because in his case I can’t see the forest for the hype.

You cannot make existing digital content sound better through and encoding / decoding scheme of that same digital content. Now, from what I understand you can also do native digital encoding in MQA format (an alternative to PCM and DSD) which could theoretically be a better digital mousetrap. But even if this is the case, there is now way the studios will be adopting this on a significant scale, so even if native MQA sounds better than what we have (quite a feat considering it uses 10% of the bandwidth to stream), there will be no content, short of a few cool sounding “demo’s” to show off systems.

edorr said You cannot make existing digital content sound better through and encoding / decoding scheme of that same digital content. Now, from what I understand you can also do native digital encoding in MQA format (an alternative to PCM and DSD) which could theoretically be a better digital mousetrap. But even if this is the case, there is now way the studios will be adopting this on a significant scale, so even if native MQA sounds better than what we have (quite a feat considering it uses 10% of the bandwidth to stream), there will be no content, short of a few cool sounding "demo's" to show off systems.
You should read the article, it is a good explanation of how MQA works and why it sounds superior to all other forms of A/D -> D/A. They don't make any claims about existing content. What they do claim is that MQA music will sound better than redbook quality even if played through a non-MQA DAC. As for content, TIDAL announced a while back that they will begin streaming in MQA in 2Q and Meridian has announced content available in MQA in that same timeframe. There were some initial announcements around CES about manufacturer support but haven't heard much lately.

To me the big unknown is can and how will existing DACs be upgraded to support MQA. There are hints it can be done is software but no one has announced anything. I suppose if could also be done in an upstream device like an Aries or even potentially JRiver so that existing DACs are not made obsolete by MQA.

They don't make any claims about existing content.
Harley claims digital content re-encoded through MQA sounds better than it did before the process.

I don’t think “content re-encoded through MQA” would qualify as “existing” content. I think he explains in the article why the MQA encoding process can remove ringing and improve the overall sound of any original analog recording. I don’t think he is referring to content that has already been digitized but I may have missed something in the article.

mark-d said
Paul McGowan said There's one more that is peeking through the far distant clouds, it's from Ted but it's not a successor to DirectStream, a product that shall stand alone for quite some time to come.

Paul,dont leave us hanging!!!Give us a hint…

I can’t guys. Sorry. I shouldn’t be a tease like that. If you own a DirectStream it will not be interesting to you.

And what about for our secondary (DS-less) systems? You’re a devil in disguise Paul. devil_gif

I missed the disguise. You see a disguise?

65_gif

ksalno said

To me the big unknown is can and how will existing DACs be upgraded to support MQA. There are hints it can be done is software but no one has announced anything. I suppose if could also be done in an upstream device like an Aries or even potentially JRiver so that existing DACs are not made obsolete by MQA.

I could not care less about hardware. Show me a meaningfull catalogue of natively MQA encoded content (if indeed it sounds better than PCM / DSD) first. I am still waiting for a DSD catalogue (short of classical) so I am not holding my breath.

While MQA may be a very effective compression technique for streaming existing digital content, as a native digital encoding format it will be an audiophile gimmick at best and a most likely complete non-factor.

Elk said I missed the disguise. You see a disguise?
The pointy ears and pitch fork are hidden in his avatar. Probably Photoshopped out.

Aaaaahh. I got it now.

Sneaky.

Just a guess but… someone we know has been into home theatre lately. His partner in devilishness is already a “multi” kinda a guy. HHmmmmm?

@ksalno, take another look at the start of his “Listening to MQA” on Page 60. As follows:

"I heard a wide range of musical styles encoded in MQA from a variety of sources, including analog tape and existing 192KHz/24-bit “masters”. "

He then goes on to expound how all of this stuff sounded like the best thing ever. My interpretation of the underlined is existing content that was subsequently encoded with MQA, just as the analog content would have been encoded in MQA.