System Photos!

I guess it’s a passive guitar? you can hook it directly to the HiFi via 1/4" PL plug to 2 RCA cable, but you’ll have to crank the volume way up’ because the output from the bass is very low. like cymbop mentioned, your son should be very careful not to overload the system!
You can use a preamp pedal to boost the signal, like I do, or use a battery powered device meant for hooking up headphones.
Keep in mind that strait from the bass or pedal, the output is only one channel, so if you don’t have a mono switch in your system, you’ll need an adapter to split one channel into two

1 Like

I’m sure others will speak to this (and some have asked about it), but I would also be very leery of this practice!

But just curious… how do you choose when to play it through the stereo and not through your bass amp? (Fender Rumble?)

Yes, it’s a Rumble 40, and it does the job very well. I’m just playing at home, so it is plenty loud.
When I want to play along with music, or with lessons on YouTube, I obviously have to use the Fender.
Initially I was just curious to try my stereo as a bass amp, but now I like it more than the Fender.
Also, I got 2 other amps in my system to play with (class A tube amp and a vintage receiver) besides the class D Stellar, so that’s fun :grinning:

I’m sure the sound of the bass coming out of two widely spaced speakers is pretty cool.

So is it that you play through the stereo when it’s just you practicing, without accompaniment? Or with others in a jam/rehearsal situation? (Like that even happens now with the pandemic!)

Exactly, when practicing or just fooling around.
The picture shows another bass (Jazz) that belongs to a friend. He didn’t bring his amp with him, so one of us was playing through the Fender, and the other through the stereo, so it’s useful in a way…

1 Like

Current state of the office/den system.

Streaming roon through a raspberry pi via RoPieeeXL, which accommodates HQPlayer/NAA.

USB to the Matrix X-SPDIF 2, then AES/EBU to a Topping D70 DAC.

Audiolab 8000A integrated.

Speakers are PSB Imagine B and a little Cambridge Audio Minx X201 sub (which I swiped from the living room when I added a pair of REL T/5i’s).

(Previously was streaming using a mac mini, but experimenting with the Pi. It sounds great, and it’s like $100.)

11 Likes

Great looking room. 1950s construction?

My soundroom is virtually worth more than my house…
Which it is falling apart in the middle or five acres - so I’m still pretty content.
Better a crappy old farmhouse secluded than a new condo in the city… never hear a noise complaint!
Life is good. Flim & the BB’s tell me so.

Everybody’s got SOMETHING that they spend WAY too much money on that makes everyone else say “Pfft - you’re an IDIOT”…

19 Likes

Let’s see now…

Flim and the BBs : Tricycle, Further Adventures, Big Notes…

The jump factor in Tricycle track 1…is this why…? :innocent:
and Rockeby Garden…

Which it is falling apart in the middle or five acres - so I’m still pretty content.

A luxury really…ideal yes, no… neighbors to be concerned about…

In my hood the houses are very close together…and I avoid
having subwoofers to keep the peace and still be able to listen
to Tricycle at near annoyance levels at times…with no
complaints…Yet with Rockeby Gardens must play “judiciously”

Don’t forget…Telarc’s Time Warp might just finish bringing your house down…

Thanks for sharing…didn’t know there were other Flim & BBs fans
around this neck of the woods…

What ever happened to Flim and his BBs?

Not sure, but, growing up in Minneapolis, I have a soft spot for them. I have the original album on vinyl, which was probably given to me when I visited Sound 80 studios with my dad when I was a kid.

Just googled Herb Pilhofer, founder of Sound 80… supposedly he’s still alive at 89 and living in the Twin Cities!

Ok, this is kind of amusing… Sound 80 building became Orfield Labs, and they have a wall with some of the Sound 80 recordings on it. How many do you have? (Flim & BB’s is upper right.)

Willie & the Bees
Michael Johnson
Leo Kottke
Flim & the BBs
Cat Stevens
Bob Dylan
The Suburbs
Aaron Copland
Herb Pilhofer - Spaces
New Brubeck Quartet
and the last one I can’t tell… (Spinal Tap - Smell the Glove? None more black!)

6 Likes

Tidbits: Sound 80 is recognized as the world’s first digital recording studio and Orfield Labs’ anechoic chamber is the quietest place on earth (it is routinely featured on news shows, etc.)

3 Likes

Wow. Talk about your blast from the past. I’d forgotten all about Sound 80.

Not a whole system photo, but a “new” PS stack, thanks to the recent addition of M700 monoblocks to my 11-month old SGCD. That’s an old P500 regenerator at the bottom.

10 Likes

Nice and clean :+1:

Can you describe what happens to the music, when you put the P500 out of the system?

Unfortunately I can’t at the moment, for several reasons - I’m still in the process of running in the amps and I don’t want to change the setup right now, plus with the equipment and its locations on the shelves, the act of rearranging the power for everything is a time consuming and difficult endeavor, and if that weren’t enough, we’re in the process of getting ready to leave on vacation.

There’s a good chance I could in a few weeks, especially as I’m considering a new P3 to take its place, and it would be good to go into that with a couple of solid benchmarks (with it and without it) for comparison.

Understood. Sounds like a good plan. Have a great vacation!

1 Like

Latest PSA acquisitions (Used Stellar P3 and DMP) in their natural environment.

Cheers.

[Edit: Sorry about the turned image. Does not appear that way on my phone/don’t know how to fix it.]
[Edit II: Thanks to ELK for rotating my pic!]

12 Likes

The phone set the image to be displayed sideways. I rotated the image and reloaded it.

6 Likes

That’s really kind of you Elk…way to go sir…!!

1 Like

Another update in my rack. Denafrips Gaia DDC arrived today!

Gaia has replaced my previous (pretty good for the money) Matrix Audio X-Spdif 2. Mainly use as USB to AES/EBU conversion from Aurender N100H to Simaudio Moon 380D DSD dac.
Just first impression (right out of the box, after just one hour of listening):

• impressive compared to X-Spfif 2
  • sound is more airy, more analog like
  • deeper, more holographic soundstage
  • more realistic voices

20 Likes