System Photos!

I held off on subs for the longest time. I sold off my pair of SVS subs because I didn’t think I needed them with the Wilson’s. I decided to try a JLAudio f112. So far so good. JLAudio’s calibration mic was easy to use and helpful integrating the sub.

18 Likes

How do you like it? I previously had an xa25 and am considering going back to Pass from my current Hegel H360and the x250.8 or int-250 are on my radar.

If you get another F112 and a CR1 you’ll be in hifi heaven! Tho looking at that rig I’d say you are 99.9% there already!

1 Like

Back to the Klipsch RP-8000F’s…

7 Likes

Which are you leaning towards atm?

The thought did cross my mind but I’m starting to get over loaded with equipment in a small room.

1 Like

Definitely the Klipsch. They do a LOT more right.

The Klipsch’s tonality remains the same no matter how quiet or loud you play them. With the MA’s, you have to turn them up a fair bit for them to open up and start sounding good. To “wake them up” so to speak.

The Klipsch’s treble is more refined. They easily reproduce those airy, light, delicate cues in music that the MA’s just completely mask over. I mean, you hear them from the MA’s, but it’s like they are trying to do something they aren’t capable of doing. Hard to explain.

Vocals and midrange in general is more open and natural through the Klipsch. They produce more space, width and depth with really good layering, detail retrieval and a super solid phantom center image and pin-point stage imaging.

With the Klipsch, there’s more texture and energy in the upper bass, lower mid-bass region, giving you solid impact from drums, piano and the like. Low-end bass extension may seem greater with the MA’s, but I’m beginning to think it only “seems” that way because there’s simply more energy above that low bass with the Klipsch as I just mentioned, which slightly makes that low bass a bit more subdued.

The things that stand out with the MA’s is that upper bass/lower mid-bass is a bit too soft around the leading edges, the midrange/vocal region seems congested a lot of the times, the treble is a little too etchy/unrefined, and the only way to get a solid center image in my room is to have them placed about one foot closer together and toed in almost directly at my ears, which doesn’t guarantee that it remains anchored to the center all the time, and absolutely kills stage width and depth.

Sorry for the long-ish reply, but you asked… LOL

3 Likes

I had dual F113s. Sold them both. I don’t feel the need with the DAWs but I’m sure it would be fun. Nice set up indeed…

1 Like

The 250.8 is pretty amazing. The only thing that might beat it would be the right mono blocks and even then I’m not sure by how much or how apparent it would be.

I have never heard the Int, but the best integrated I have owned is the Levinson 585. Great sounding amp and a decent DAC in it too. I have owned Hegel but smaller like the 80 I believe it was. No comparison there. Pass is bullet proof and just adds gobs of power (I’m 4ohm so 500wpc) and the transparency is unequaled. Darn good support to like our friends at PSA. My guess is the next step would be Dag Momentum and that is above my pay grade.

I sold my Wilsons tonight and explained that I used a pair of REL subs with them. People would comment from time to time and say something like “you have those subs up a bit don’t you?” Yes and if you want I’ll dial them back. “No, they are fine I just wanted to know if you knew you were overdoing it a tad” . Yes sir, but I can turn them off completely and be fine. I just know I can.

No subs in my new setup. But still. As long as no one gets hurt it’s all for fun.

5 Likes

100% agree Al. My 113s added a dimension I guess. Not of sight or sound (Twilight Zone here) but of “slam”. The DAWs are specced to 20Hz to 30kHz, ±3dB and it sounds like it… However if you like some songs loud (and I do) and you want to feel it in your chest, a JL will help get that done. Also if you are into a home theater type set up then it adds there too. Sub, no sub it’s all fun. I would not mind a 113 again, but for 4k, I can do other stuff…

2 Likes

What displaced the Wilson’s?

I think he got Vivids…

We may have to ask his wife “What displaced Aangen”?

Sorry, no offense @aangen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vivid Giya Spirits replaced my Yvettes.
For now at least.

2 Likes

Funky! (the speakers, not your new avatar, well maybe both)

1 Like

Like the new avatar. -Less obnoxious.

3 Likes

A fan of film, Fritz Lang’s Metropolis. :hugs:

3 Likes

Al is hiding from his wife!

4 Likes

In bed. She’ll never find me here.

11 Likes