The Best Records of 2023

I open this thread where we can report the new releases of the most interesting albums of the year 2023. Anyone who wishes can leave a short comment on the album and/or comment on the quality of the recording of the medium (vinyl, CD, streaming)
I start with:
Steven Wilson - the harmony codex, his seventh solo album.
316x316bb

7 Likes

Natalie Merchant - Keep Your Courage
The ten songs that make up the album confirm Merchant’s strongly folk-oriented melodic and musical talent. Very well orchestrated album and absolutely worth listening to. Very refined arrangements. Very well recorded.

Natalie-Merchant-–-Keep-Your-Courage

9 Likes

3 Likes

My GF was able to hold a perfect plank for 19 minutes. That was my favorite “record” so far in 2023. :grinning:

1 Like

I applaud SW’s versatility and sound quality but this album does not do it for me. I have seen SW live 3 times and the show is electrifying. Adam’s keyboard work is tops. I am more of the SW of The Raven

My favorite recent album (sorry its 2022) is Marillion’s An Hour Before Its Dark

This album gave me a few immersive and emotional evenings… this year.

1 Like

Kirsten Edkins Shapes and Sound is probably worth mentioning to this crowd. It might be this crowd that mentioned it to me. Kevin Gray, Cohearent, etc.

ACOH_2201__175354__01122023082520-4185

5 Likes

I agree. A good one. Also, while not a single album, everything I’ve gotten so far from Deutsche Gramophone’s The Original Source vinyl reissues have been worth listening to. Highly recommended.

One of the reasons I truly dig the music threads in this forum is the occasional new discovery. Just ordered Kirsten’s LP after a preview of the album on-line. Judging from the sonics alone, as best I can tell from an on-line video, Shapes & Sound is a winner. Also want to support Cohearent Records.

2 Likes

To be released soon (December 2023), and if past is prelude to future, then Steven Wilson’s project - Porcupine Tree - Should ‘touch’ yet another rather high ceiling, creativity and production (SQ).

3 Likes

2 Likes

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

:wink:

[Just kidding - and no actual lechery intended.]

3 Likes

Why is this discussion under audio components and not music?

Nope. She’s shy

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

David Crosby & the Lighthouse Band Live at the Capitol Theatre
Listening gives you a total transport into the universe, out of time, in which David Crosby has always been lord and master.
live-at-the-capitol-theatre-david-crosby-cover-ts1665106821

2 Likes

Blur - The Ballad Of Darren

1 Like

Brad Mehldau - Your Mother Should Know. Brad Plays the Beatles

3 Likes