The next DirectStream update?

On the premise of your very statement I vehemently disagree. I understand the essence of what you are saying but the update process - successful or not - has no bearing on the improvement (i.e. benefit) Ted’s updates bring to those (many) that experience no problem whatsoever with the update process. Comparing the merits of a firmware update with the botheration of a capricious update process is untenable.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we have emotion tainting logic and reality. Most owners have not had a problem loading software and eagerly await a new iterations of software. If I don’t like it I can revert. Most users agree that each of Ted’s releases have much to offer. I can’t point to another audio company that offers this as a service to owners at no cost. I’ve been into high end audio since the 70’s and I’ve never had the the level of performance and support that I have here with PSAudio.

6 Likes

Since right at the beginning, every time there has been a new software, there are pages and pages of traffic generated here by owners who have difficulty with the update. If a majority of owners don’t have such difficulties that is great for them, they can benefit from the new features and improvements that that software brings. But for those in the other camp, new software brings anxiety and the prospect of “here we go again”. Unless work has been done to make the process more reliable for all this time around, which has been promised by PS Audio as being their intention, so my question to Ted was simply that. Has anything been done to make the update process reliable for all. I take his answer to be, maybe not (because somebody else has been tasked with doing that, and he’s been busy fixing other broken stuff like DMP and P20, etc).

So from my angle, and likely those who also live in camp difficulty, the merits of a firmware update and the botheration of a capricious update process are intimately entwined.

As I said, talk to Paul about it, don’t ask someone who doesn’t work for PS Audio (which is 1200 miles away). I’m writing software on my own nickel to give away for free. If someone doesn’t want to try it for any reason it’s no skin off of my teeth, but to complain about things I don’t have any control over in a thread about my work is counterproductive.

16 Likes

Are you personally having update issues or are you appointing yourself the champion for those who have had problems? Ted told you he has nothing to do with that aspect of the software. So drop it!

2 Likes

Au contraire sir! It was my hope you would come to realize the insulting and presumptuous nature of that post. Let me carve a snippet from said post and I promise to include only what pertains to Ted (NOT PS Audio):

You see Brodric, Ted has nothing to do with the update process you so wrongly insinuated or assumed. The remainder of your sentence above only applies to the PS Audio programmers/engineers. Yet you deemed it appropriate to wrap up both into a single sentence which communicates to the reasonable reader that one person or entity is responsible for both. Please explain to us how these two are “intimately entwined” - keeping in mind Ted is NOT an employee of PS Audio and NOT tasked with the very thing you are complaining about.

I just don’t see the logic here. There have been many posts by both Ted and Paul (PS Audio) clearly defining the nature of their professional relationship. I see no reason to direct this question to Ted, rather than Paul, other than to incite a reaction.

And I’m sorry sir, but your last reply was a rather slipshod attempt to justify the transgressions in your initial post.

7 Likes

Have you sent your PS Audio DAC back to PS Audio for them to check out? If not, why not?

No need, they are sending new software to me. I should get it on Wednesday.

My point remains, Ted’s work comes to nothing for those who can’t get the update to work. Hopefully on Wednesday I’ll be able to get on RedCloud, just in time for the next mountain update.

And a DS update is not just Ted’s work, it’s a combined effort with the PLC code writers. So I don’t connect with the sensitivities being expressed.

Hi Ted. Thanks for all your work. Please don’t think for a nanosecond that we don’t appreciate it. You the man!

Quick question. Over here Popping sound related to Directstream Junior? you spoke about a bug in Redcloud that causes ticks in loud material with volumes near 100.

Will this bug be fixed in the upcoming update?

Like a broken record.

6 Likes

I’m 100% digital, I have no records!

Thank you Ted for all your hard work and efforts towards product improvement. Look forward to your new release.

8 Likes

There has been a good deal of work on that front already.

I am just jumping in here late, sorry, on a different time zone for a week or so. As I have mentioned there have been improvements made to the update process and we will continue to make more.

I am unclear, Brodric, what value your post brings. Is it your hope to bring more anxiety? What’s the intended outcome you seek from your question?

3 Likes

No sir, not yet. Ted’s working away first on Sr. The code is slightly different for Jr.

1 Like

The question was, if I might rephrase it, simply this:

“Will the next update incorporate the work being done to make updates more reliable”.

The answers might have been:

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Don’t know.

There is nothing more to it than that.

“Yes” is the answer you seek.

1 Like

How do you guys make money? If you keep offering free upgrades I will never have to buy another DAC :smiley:
(I know one day it will come to an end though but really appreciate it until then)

1 Like

They are making money WITH the decision to offer free updates!

Who would buy another DAC, given the improvements so far?

2 Likes

I’ve been on the DS Sr journey since Jan 15 and have loved every update along the way. Can’t wait for the next one - many thanks to Ted, Paul and all at PS Audio who make this happen. Mike.

3 Likes