The next DirectStream update?

Ted,
I believe you wrt lossless volume control within DS. However, Audirvana Plus Windows (released any day now), will incorporate the LeedH Lossless Volume Control code. If you don’t have time to download the free trial…i can get it and give you my impressions.
Dan

Don’t take it wrong, I’m happy for you to report here what you find. But what LLVC does (or doesn’t do) is completely irrelevant to me - nothing can do better than a multiply that doesn’t loose any significance in the output and anything else will be distorting the audio.

1 Like

Ted,
Any news on FPGA 0.133 or whatever follow-on successor to RedCloud? Any progress on the various possible improvements that you indicated worked on paper/simulation but less-so in the FPGA?
Thanks & appreciate all your great work.
Dan

Ping :slight_smile: Any update on the update to Redcloud? I’m not ready for whatever hardware upgrade is in the works.
thanks

Here’s a recent response to that question:

If you had already seen that, then no there’s no further update, it’s very likely that there will be a new release around three to six months from now (perhaps two, but not one month), but I’ve written way too much software to try to narrow it down beyond that.

1 Like

Presumably the DS software is not open source, and there is no way for “prying eyes” to open or edit any of those however many files that are in a software update? I guess you have password protected tools of some sort for building this software and keeping it out of view of those not involved in its development.

Ted,
Thanks so much for your open and honest replies to all inquiries. My fascination is with your direction on the next peak SQ - specifically your post( https://forum.psaudio.com/t/fpga-improvements-in-redcloud/4482/338?u=dmance). Just wondering if you’ve made a breakthrough here…
Thanks
Dan

I’ve sort of been busy recently :slight_smile: While boards are out and in any slack moments I’ll continue work on the next peak - there are multiple experiments in the source tree at the moment.

4 Likes

Hi Ted,
Any news about a next peak? Your best case scenario was two months a month ago… Still very happy with redcloud, but you never know if there is a still happier place, somewhere over the rainbow! All the best,
Berlin

I sure hate to see a lot of time taken away from DAC products that a lot of people own and will continue to buy to be spent on a DAC product that very few people will buy. I understand the desire to build the ultimate DAC, but to to spend only “slack moments” on improving the current DirectStream DACs seems dismissive. Is that all our DACs deserve? Is that all we deserve?

1 Like

A month ago, Ted indicated it is likely we will see a new release in around three to six months.

Keep in mind there is only one Ted, he has multiple projects, and the DS already has spectacular sounding firmware.

6 Likes

Agree 100%. Spend time on what you prioritize needs it the most. To me, that would be any “issue” a customer is having vs another “peak”. I can’t imagine it sounding better either, so I’m in no hurry. But I’ll sure give it a try when it gets here. I mean I would think one a year is plenty and more than we should expect imho.

2 Likes

Neither to be contentious nor redundant, what/ALL THAT I have received free of charge since purchasing my DS has been more attention, value and musical bliss than I could have ever originally hoped for or expected. Any and all that comes henceforth is “lagniappe” as they say in South Louisiana. Here in Texas we just call it a mighty fine deal!!

3 Likes

Lagniappe. Neat word.

Thanks, Elk…one of my campus refuges in a misspent youth was LSU, so, I at least learned that word while in Baton Rouge…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

We live in an astoundingly wonderful and fascinating country.

1 Like

Amen, brother. I think many are forgetting that lately, due to silly distractions of various sorts. It’s like we collectively forgot as a society that we’re among the luckiest people around.

4 Likes

……".to spend only “slack moments” on improving the current DirectStream DACs seems dismissive. Is that all our DACs deserve? Is that all we deserve? "

That’s a tad churlish. It is only gone 8 months since Redcloud was released. Ted is very busy designing the TSS. The O/S releases are free: - it isn’t like we were guaranteed them and or paid out money in advance for them. And as it stands Redcloud is fantastic !

3 Likes

I will second that. Folks should get off social media, turn off the TV and listen more.

OOps… is this social media that I’m on? Oh, well . . .

I just went away for a few days to a place there was no internet. It was awesome. I felt much better ; )

3 Likes