The next DirectStream update?

I checked the DSMP, it is set to sacd stereo not multi. I just went back to Huron, played disc again, with no filters, dac on 100. Noise is gone

Iā€™m sorry, but it still points to the DMP (not that that helps since theyā€™re both from PS Audio) Redcloud does a mute/unmute around every ā€œglitchā€ in the input. Iā€™m reasonably sure that the DST is right on the edge of working fine, but random bits are getting corrupted. With Huron you donā€™t hear the small glitches and with Redcloud they are accentuated. Iā€™ll have to think about adding an option to turn off the pop detection code, but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the best idea since it hides real problems in the incoming data and tho some might be small some others might be big. I canā€™t speak to the likelihood that it will be fixed in the next DMP software release.

Thank you Ted. Do you think that a firmware update is needed to correct in the DSMP ? You donā€™t deal with that unit correct? I believe Paul mentioned that was inhouse programming.

There is a compete rewrite of the DMP code going on now at PS Audio. Iā€™m sure it will fix various flaky things in the DMP. I know that the Oppo based hardware transport deals with the Brothers in Arms disc (I have played it in my Oppo BDP-103D) so the hardware should be able to work fine. I just donā€™t know if the software rework thatā€™s going on now will affect this particular problem because I canā€™t imagine what causes it in the DMP software in the first place :slight_smile:

Thanks Ted. Huron sounds great for now.

Ted, strange enough, I had installed Huron, and then just a half hour ago, installed Redcloud. Now playing the Dire Straits BIA SACD, there hasnā€™t been any issues??!

Iā€™ll keep you posted.

Thank you,

PS: DSMP is 2.06 version

I apologize, I meant to ask if you had rebooted the DAC after doing the update to a new OS? Every one in a while there are weird sound quality issues if you play right after the SD card is loaded. Thanks for keeping me updated.

I have not done that, yet almost at the end of the SACD and not one single issue or noise.

Whatā€™s odd, is for weeks I had no issues, then after reading about it. I then started to hear things! Odd. Maybe it wasnā€™t as noticeable when I had the BHK 250, now for the last 4 days, Iā€™ve had the outstanding BHK 300ā€™s.

Welcome to audiophilia.

ELK, lol. I think itā€™s the 300ā€™s fault. So much more detail, space, and air. I LOVE the Monoā€™s. They are not going anywhere. Best amp I have ever owned, by a mile!

Yes, in all fairness, a truly good new piece of kit can let one hear things which were not present or at least buried before.

Itā€™s is fun to share your excitement vicariously.

You should upgrade to the new 2.08 that was released yesterday. It is the result of R&D on the new 3.xx release in development. So, not the full release, just a ā€œprogressā€ release to begin improvements until the final version is complete.

Ted, I installed Huron back to the DAC. Zero noises. I installed Redcloud back DAC, then slight pops, ticks came back. It sounds exacty like an LP when it happens. It happens about 6-8 times during DS Money For Nothing track on SACD. I installed the Interim 2.08 to the DSMP, and the ticks and pops are they, but slightly less volume. But still there.

Thanks Ted for the detail explanation. I have always had the infrequent ticks and pops which I can live with, but when I played a new Japanese single layer SACD yesterday, I heard the ruffle, and bursts of hash Ted referred to earlier, like played a very very badly scratched LP. Playing the DSD files of the same SACD using Jriver through the DS (therefore bypassing the Memory Player) does not help. However, I played the same SACD through an Oppo SACD player without problem and the same DSD file played in another DAC without problem. It seems that it is the DS. You seems to say it is volume related so would turning the digital volume down on the DS cure the problem? It is not a big issue as it is only one disc so far (albeit a very expensive one).

If you are running into the FPGA bug in Redcloud each step you lower the volume will change the character of the noise until itā€™s gone all together. Itā€™s disc dependent, some discs only need 99 or 98, the one you describe might need to go to 90 or the higher 80ā€™s (just a wild guess.)

Thanks Ted. Will try later on.

I set mine to 95. I also set the max volume to 95 as well so that it never gets a chance to go past 95 by accidental button push.

Seems a bit better. I listened for hours yesterday. I really enjoyed the tunes while relaxing.

1 Like

Ted, at the Munich show there was some buzz of LeedH Acoustics Processing for digital volume attenuation ā€¦ purportedly lossless and reviews are very positive. Some hardware D/A vendors are licensing this now.
This is just noise shaping taken to the limit, right??? DS volume is claimed losslessā€¦so no need to yearn for this?
Thanks
Dan

Yes the volume processing in the DS is lossless - all bits of the input are kept no matter what the volume is set to and have the correct theoretical effect on the output level. I donā€™t know what their processing is, but if the DAC ultimately uses a DAC chip then their processing canā€™t be better numerically than the DS - even if you only lower the level by one bit then the bottom bit canā€™t be kept. But let me be clear - under any reasonable circumstances I know you canā€™t measure this loss and I seriously doubt that anyone could hear this loss. Iā€™m not sure what any algorithm could add compared to just doing the volume correctly with a full digital multiply. If hardware is involved they may well have a reasonable cost good volume for those systems that canā€™t do a full digital multiply with their own hardware.

1 Like