Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH

My best man in my first wedding is a UofM MBA grad. We are still great friends. The best man not the case with the ex the mother of my three kids. Different Big 10 grad Iowa lol. I am now married to a Boilermaker so schools of Big conferences must resonate. Lol!

2 Likes

Supposly two different Allen head wrenches and swapping plug in connector. The kit was absent instructions. There is someone in Florida does mini LPS conversions maybe he is close to you? The converter board i posted earlier in the thread I need to operate on a Ghent Gotham power cord to remove DS board connector and restore with a compatible oyiade one. I have other DC cords came with HDPlex300 mbut already know they pale to the Ghent Gotham GAC4.on past experiences in streaming so why not do it right?

Best Played with Theoretica BACCH

http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/13562888

Itā€™s a work in progress, Thank you @Vmax or you wouldnā€™t see anything here! :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks Steve - that worked! Iā€™m able to see your playlist in both the Qobuz app as well as in Roon :blush: As the playlist owner, weā€™ll need to send you any recommended additions, correct?

Yes we guess, we are so new to this we are fumbling our way through.

Does anyone know the price of the ā€œdioā€?

Pretty blasphemous in italian languageā€¦ theologically more than theoreticallyā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps we could start a new thread, ā€œWhat are you listening to now (BACCH edition)? :blush:

1 Like

Like 19500 dolars or so.

And the ā€œadioā€?

For some reason I thought the adio was $19.5K.

It might be 18.5K. Edgar does offer full value trade ins or will work on return policy if you get frustrated like I did. When my system was stumping him.

2 Likes

Great idea!

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/what-are-you-listening-to-now-bacch-edition/32449

Thank You

1 Like

Great list Steve! I listened to about half of the songs last night and it was obvious why these were curated for inclusion. Many were artists/works I was unfamiliar with - always nice to expand my horizons. I see this as a great vehicle for showcasing the spaciousness of the BACCH soundstage. If you have no objection, Iā€™ll provide Edgar with the URL; Iā€™m sure he is always looking for new material. Hopefully, as others choose to adopt this technology contributions to the playlist will increase. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

ViperRGD,

Please feel free to share the BACCH playlist.

When we read this, and Decwareā€™s forum along with watching Youtube when we hear something we like we put it in a test playlist on Roon so we can listen to it later.

Any good suggestions are definitely welcome.

1 Like

FYI/ Having something like soundhound on your phone really helps one find out what the name of the songs are while watching Youtube videos.

1 Like

On the ā€œA new fuse: Synergistic Master Quantumā€ thread I made a comment about how, for an additional $385 over the cost of one of these fuses, a BACCH4Mac Intro package could be had. @robwilgus asked about whether Theoretica had plans to support BACCH-dSP on a PC platform. I didnā€™t know but offered to ask Edgar. I received a reply this morning (below). Iā€™m posting here as I suspect it would be of more interest to readers here than on the SR fuse thread.

ā€œWhile we have no plans to port BACCH-dSP to Windows. We do have a good and growing number of customers who use a Windows machine as the source of their audio and use solutions we have tested to stream the audio to a Mac running BACCH-dSP, which then outputs the processed audio to the USB DAC.ā€

So it appears that unless you want to buy a DIO, ADIO or SP unit, a Mac Mini is needed to run BACCH-dSP now and likely in the future.

3 Likes

Frustrated with my DS MK II upgrade order being stalled on backorder, I had the urge for something new for the winter listening season. So, I ordered the Bacch Intro (software only) version to run on my MacBook Air.

Some early impressions:

1. Install was a breeze. I already had a Mac as a streamer so it was a no brainer.
  2. The binaural stuff Edgar demos is very cool but to me simply serves as a proof of concept. Cross talk elimination is impressive yes but what would be the relevance of his CTX processing to the majority of musical recordings where multiple spot microphones and pan pots shape the soundscape? Here are some initial answers to my ears.
  3. First, I found CTX has little, if any, impact on mono tracks. Stereo recordings with centered performers, e.g. vocalist and accompaniment, also get limited impact by Bacch. On these materials, I may slightly prefer the sound with Bacch off. The bypass button makes it simple to do.
  4. On all other materials, and to varying degrees, the Bacch struts its stuff.
  5. Easily appreciated are the alterations in the soundscape which is often reshaped into an enveloping radial or hemispheric pattern. The sound stage just doesnā€™t get wider but rather wraps around the listener. A saxophone coming from the right speaker may now rest 20 or 30 degrees wider but not further away. The effect varies by recording with many classic jazz and live recordings providing great examples. It is an unusual perspective, almost like you are at the rail or, at extremes, at the conductorā€™s podium.
  6. Second, and perhaps more interestingly, is its impact on individual instruments. The Bacch gives an air and electricity to the sound. Itā€™s most obvious on percussion instruments including piano which come to life. Individual instruments take up more space without being blurred. And subtle elements of the studio or recording venue are also exposed to create ambiance. Taken together with the soundscaping, the Bacch sound gives more of a you are there feeling. Its more energetic compared to when the processor is turned off. Folks seeking a more relaxed and centered listen may opt to turn the processor off. But I suspect most will have a hard time coming off the vivacious Bacch sound.
6 Likes

Oddly enough, my preference is to not use it with vinyl. Oops.

2 Likes

You canā€™t mix Digital with Analog look what happened to Mofi. :confounded:

2 Likes

Iā€™d say your characterization are spot. Compared to Home Theater Multichannel sound the Bacch sound is more enveloping. I noticed one interesting thing. A mix of live theater Miss Saigon gives on the overhead helicopter flying over Right shoulder across the top of roon and off to the distant beyond through the left front speaker. While only front speakers are active .

Whereas home theater surround offers similar effects in same room but their is sound being transmitted through six speakers. The sound is more pinpointed and distant with HT where Bacch dSP is more enveloping. A live concert with Bacch i feel more enveloped with Bacch only coming from two speakers more than 6 channel HT or stereo. I think itā€™s because Bacch better represents hall ambience reflections heard in the room not back behind the front speakers, where most live stereo concert mixes places the crowd, in normal stereo. The crowd is either forward of the front speakers or around you with Bacch.

3 Likes