Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH

We installed the BACCH software with Edgars help (he did all the work) in our new Mac Mini it took less than 1/2 hour with some chit chat going on. Sounds good, we’ll let it cook for a while, then report back.

We are foodies as much as we are Audiophiles, you should see how we make our coffee :sunglasses:! We own a restaurant and don’t expect for our guests to eat every meal at our place. They tell us when they come across something special, and we greatly appreciate it, because we like trying new things…and there is only one constant is business and that’s change.

2 Likes

We must think a like in some sort of twisted way. I feel sorry for you!:face_with_monocle::laughing:

3 Likes

Kindred spirits for sure!

1 Like

BACCH is an overnight success, you know like some of those movie stars that have been in the biz for many years, and one day everything lines up for them.

I don’t have any personal experience with the C920 webcam; however, I did check Amazon and they have all the user documentation and specs available for download. Looking through those, I didn’t see any recommended or specified distances although users seem to be fine using it as far as 8-12 feet. I would think some form of face recognition technology would be in play such that other body parts in the frame are ignored (but that is just a guess on my part). If you like your listening room dark, Theoretica suggests an IR camera might be a better option (but doesn’t cite a recommended model).

1 Like

I was just thinking IR would be far better for me. Most of my listening in the evening is done mostly dimly lit unless we are reading printed material.

The IR camera they use is lacking required drivers to work with the latest version of ios. Edgar said he may have to switch to another brand if the OEM doesn’t update drivers. He will notify users if and when IR is back functioning on the Bacch4mac. This is the evil of using COTS processors. Configuration nightmares.

1 Like

Well, if the C920 doesn’t work well from eight feet I’ll poke around to see if there’s another that has better zoom and/or works better in low light. I don’t have a place for a camera any closer. I am certain I will find a solution.

I have “found” money now since I realized I don’t need an iPad and can remote control the mini from my Win11 laptop. Just adding the mini to our house is a big enough change for me. I have been trying to simplify and adding a mini takes me in the opposite direction. I have enough tech around here that requires care and feeding and there’s only so much of me to go around.

Please let us know when you receive your package so we can schedule your personal remote walkthrough session, during which we will configure BACCH4Mac for your particular audio system and show you how to make BACCH filter and use the system.

I will be waiting like @Steve08226

2 Likes

I was wondering if all of this forum member activity plus the TAS review was going to result in a backlog for installations. I assume it’s only a matter of time before Edgar is going to have to get someone else to do the installations, or at least help. I assume his day job is demanding.

Please let us know when you get your appointment.

Oh I’ll be trying to hack it. Don’t worry there. The machine password was provided and it is preloaded with software.

1 Like

this is from the Theoretica website (in FAQs):

To completely remove the lateral sweet spot limitation, Theoretica has developed a powerful advanced head tracking technology, that uses either an infrared camera for head tracking even in pitch darkness (which works over a range of only about 2 meters), or a regular webcam for head tracking in regular and dim lighting (which works over a range up to more than 8 meters).

3 Likes

Oh that’s fantastic! I missed that when I was looking at their site. Thanks!

As of earlier this week, Theoretica said they only had two of the RME Babyface Pro FS devices (used in all but the Intro kit) available for shipment and didn’t expect to be receiving any additional units from RME until late February. This situation may help with the backlog concern near term (unless I’m greatly underestimating the number of Intro kit orders they are receiving) but may result in a bow wave in March when they are restocked and again able to ship regularly.

1 Like

I was told I got last available when I purchased and it was at the Florida distribution. But could always be a good sales tatic make it seem scarce to get potential buyers off the fence. When is yours coming or were you doing software only?

I’m not sure if this was directed at me but, if so, I haven’t placed an order yet. I’ve been doing my due diligence and will likely place an order next month for the Audiophile kit (I’m still waiting for my MKII DAC to be delivered). I’m looking to hear from others as yourself on your impressions.

4 Likes

The Mk2 takes awhile to burn in and getting it settled with age is probably a good idea. Especially if your going to try different tweaks. It is a great DAC. I am hoping my pairing of the bacch4 mac with MK2 is as good as Steve experienced and I like it as much Al’s experience with the adio. I tend not to sugar coat first impressions realizing new equipment changes with break in and dialing in. If there ‘s big problems I try to resolve them and work them through. I will definitely share how it goes.

I have yet to experience gear I couldn’t improve sound with after first listen. It all ends up being about science and physics. Edgar concentrates on Physics in his design. Kind of like Ted Or Galen with his cables. Explain the science and I will buy if logic is there. That’s what I find to be fun with this hobby. I also know it’s all about the set up no matter what the price so give it a chance.

3 Likes

I just noticed that this thread has 54 posts since my last time and the Air Lens thread has 7. Could it be that the AL thread finally is dying a slow death?

It is more fun to talk about products that are actually available.

11 Likes

In an odd twist of events, that means if I just go with the S/W for my first iteration, I may get an appointment sooner then later. I need to order a mini.