Thread organization, ongoing

I just discovered the long Octave thread running under PS Audio wishlist. Seems like it’s time for a dedicated Octave thread, so everybody interested in that topic will be more likely to end up in the same place.

I know Elk has mentioned the blowback that can come with herding us cats. But really, I think it will do a lot more good than any harm. You’ll barely hear from the people that appreciate making it easier to find the content they want. Don’t let the forum’s be controlled by whoever will complain the most.

We already have a dedicated Octave thread here.

Naturally, the last posts in the thread have nothing to do with Octave and are about vinyl players in cars. :slight_smile:

We also have an Octave metadata discussion here.

Some people’s cats . . .

shaft234 said I know Elk has mentioned the blowback that can come with herding us cats. But really, I think it will do a lot more good than any harm. You'll barely hear from the people that appreciate making it easier to find the content they want. Don't let the forum's be controlled by whoever will complain the most.
Valid points, but the issue is more nuanced.

Each forum has its own personality. This forum resembles social mingling prior to a dinner party. Conversations flow freely, ever morphing. Often a relevant comment leads to a new point, which brings to mind a new subject - now the discussion has shifted.

I tried policing these discussions, splitting off new topics, and concatenating posts from different threads into a single thread. It failed miserably. Discussion ended. Wet blanket thrown.

Returning to the simile, it was akin to listening to all the social hour discussions, pulling away those who were talking about the same thing, and making them stand in a new group. All conversation would stop - both in the old groups and in the new single topic groups.

Thus, I learned to leave the topics alone. New members occasionally complain about the loose organization, or fuss that a question they directed to one member was answered by others, etc. I would prefer more focused threads, but this is not how conversations work. Moreover, this forum prefers a similar natural flow.