Tool for sizing Regenerator

I’m considering adding a Regenerator to my system but can’t find a tool to help me with sizing. I tried to find something online and through the forums but I don’t see anything. How does one go about figuring out the correct size regenerator?

I’m looking for a tool or formula that I can use.

Add up the power consumption of all the components you intend to power with it. That should be a standard datasheet datum. If all you can find is current draw, calculate V x I given whatever mains voltage applies.

8 Likes

I don’t know how we’d pull this off but wouldn’t it be slick if you could enter the model numbers of all of your gear, and then it would spit out a recommendation?

In general, we add up the power draw from all of your gear and then recommend the regen that will best accommodate that. There are a few assumptions that can be made. Source gear and pre amps usually pull about 30-45W each. The amp is usually what dictates what regen you need. This is a generalization, but if you’re running class A A/B amps, I don’t recommend anything smaller than a P15.

At the end of the day, the more headroom the regen has for your system, the better.

If you get me a list of your gear, I’ll pass along my recommendation.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the recommendation is a P15 or P20 as I have a class A/AB amp. How much of a power draw can the P12, P15 and P20 handle? I can’t find this info anywhere in the manual. I’m sure my solution is going to be a multiple Regenerators.

Also do people use Regenerators with Subs? My long range plan call for multiple Rel subs.

I agree, add up max wattage from each device you want to plug into the regenerator.

Something to keep in mind though - the bigger the regenerator the lower the impedance will be resulting in better sound quality from your amp(s) and components. So it may be worth looking at getting the biggest regenerator you can afford(this also makes your system more future proof as you upgrade to more power hungry amp(s) etc down the line).

Personally, the most I could afford is a P12 but I only connect my amp(max 680 watts), my phono pre-amp(max ~20-30watts) , my DSD Sr (max ~20-30watts) and my Matrix X-SPDIF 2(max ~20-30watts). I plug my turntable motor and mac mini into a surge protector which connects to the wall and my subwoofer is just plugged into the wall. I’ve never seen my regenerator top 300 watts output.

1 Like

The owner’s manuals on the web site show average and peak output levels.

Sorry I know I am blind but I don’t see this in the manual. I’m looking under the specs in the manuals. I do see a picture of the power meter that says 1500 watts for the P15/P20. The picture of the power meter for the P12 says 1000 watts. Is this what you are talking about?

@michaelhifi

If you can’t find it in the manual the power usage is often on the back of the unit near where the AC plug connects, here is an example in my system:

Here are the power regenerator outputs respectively:

P3: 300Watts
P12: 1250 Watts
P15: 1500 Watts
P20: 2000 Watts

1 Like

I’m trying to find out how many watts the regenerators support so I can size one for my system. I assumed this info would be in the manual but can’t seem to find it.

Thanks. Did you find this in the manual somewhere as I have looked everywhere for it.

It may be that te specs are in VA not in Watss. VA equals Watts times power factor of the device (if I understand it correctly). For the p20 2000VA continuous, 3600VA peak. P15 is 1200VA continuous and also 3600VA peak.

Should you tell us your equipment, we could help sort this out more easily.

Go to the PS Audio Website -> Products -> Power Components -> Regenerators -> (Select the Regenerator you want to find info on) -> Product Tab

Thanks

There is a great sale going on right now, take advantage of it. Circle back and let us know how you like your choice.

I found that my mostly PS Audio system does not use nearly as much wattage as is documented, but I also think it’s important to leave headroom for dynamic passages.

On average, the BHK stack uses 440W and the P20 is capable of 2000W. I once tried plugging in the 85" TV and found it uses just as much wattage as the whole amplifier chain.

My old P500 cruises along at about 18 watts when I listen to my streamer or my phono preamp through my SGCD, but the M700s aren’t plugged into the P500. They’re powered from an old high-current Ultimate Outlet that’s fed from the wall receptacle (also a PSA HC unit). When I turn on a disc player (CD or SACD), the consumption bumps up to about 35 watts.

That, along with the fact that my turntable motor is plugged into the wall (I read somewhere a long time ago that regenerators, or perhaps just the P500, shouldn’t be used for those kinds of motors), makes me think that, even with the addition of the M700s to the mix, I should be OK with a P3 as an upgrade.

The rough numbers I recommend people to be under as far as continuous load are as follows.

P3: 270W
P12: 850W
P15: 1200W
P20: 1400-1800W

Each PowerPlant is able to handle more than its value here, but I don’t recommend a continuous load higher than these figures.

Thanks