Top SACDs

I think they will both be great. More personal preference and system dependant.

But yes, please let us know what you think!

Some hard to get SACD’s just came back into stock at Acoustic Sounds for those interested.

Junior Wells Hoodoo VooDoo Man

Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Sessions

1 Like

After seeing this on the front of Music Direct’s new catalog and hearing about the MoFi Van Halen vinyl remasters I emailed MoFi and asked them if SACD’s were coming.

This was the reply:

Hi Marc, thanks for your email. All of the Van Halen titles will also be available on SACD shortly after the one-step ultradisc sets are released!

Customer Service

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

cs@mofi.com
Hours: M-F 9am-5pm

www.mofi.com

SUPER EXCITED!

5 Likes

Mobile Fidelity has been doing a great job of releasing a lot of SACDs of great albums, but since the Paul Simon Still Crazy SACD, they have been having a lot of trouble producing them and making them available for sale. Hope they sort that out soon.

I finally got their Eagles debut SACD last week. They did a pretty nice job on it. I’ll be interested to hear whether they’ve been able to restore the highs on Desperado whenever they manage to get it out the door. That was always its major failing, IMO (along with the usual horrifically noisy Asylum vinyl back then).

I have found some real gems here. Check them out here: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/

My current favorites are Art Garfunkel Breakaway and E. Power Biggs Joseph Rheinberger Organ Concertos
81bjqj58o-L.SX425
81Ei0mk8a4L.SX425

1 Like

Got this from AP. It’s very clean to my ear. Mastered by Kevin Gray.

4 Likes

Some SACDs of mine that really shine:
The Who’s Quadrophenia. SHMSACD contains the original 1973 mix, has the dynamics and power this album deserves. The 1996 remix has its merits, but there’s nothing like the mix we’ve all known since the day it was released…
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers SHMSACD, best this album has ever sounded. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking will break windows if played too loudly.
The Doors - The Doors Analogue Productions. The stereo layer is very good, the surround is even better once you get the center speaker’s level dialed in properly.
Holst - The Planets, Analogue Productions/Decca, Zubin Mehta / LA Philharmonic. This recording is one of the best sounding recordings regardless of format.
Genesis - Duke. The 2007 remix that to me allows this album’s power and glory to come through. The last great Genesis album that truly rocks, requires to be played loudly, the last album before the band lost it for me, turned into The Phil Collins Band…
Harry Belafonte - At Carnegie Hall, Analogue Productions. A Fine sounding album that sounds even better on SACD…
Peter Paul & Mary - In The Wind, Audio Fidelity. Never heard this album at all, gave it a try since Steve Hoffman remastered it, and wow! What a well recorded album to begin with…

Now, if only Steven Wilson would remix the rest of the 1970s Emerson Lake & Palmer catalog with a proper SACD release and I’ll never buy another CD / SACD / DVD-A / Blu-ray-A again (my collection is around 9-10k currently, with many different editions of Who, Doors, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Carole King, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Dire Straits…).

7 Likes

What year is the Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers SHM SACD released?

I have the SHM Sticky Fingers SACD according to discogs the SACD was released 11/26/2014

1 Like

Thanks Paul!

There’s also a 2010, 2011, and 2013 SHM SACD as well!

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll have to check my jewel box and see what my copy is.

I have the 11/26/2014 SACD

1 Like

I love playing “I Dig Rock and Roll Music” from that disc. I’m biased though, because back in my misspent youth I had a group of very good friends who had a band, and one of their great pieces was something they put together called “The C7 Medley,” and it included this song in it.

1 Like

Only one of those are SACD, the other two are CD.

My bad…thanks George…

1 Like

There are only 2 “Sticky Fingers” SHM SACDs (UIGY-9066 and UIGY-9579) and both have identical masterings. The mastering is a flat transfer from the original master tapes and is incredible!

3 Likes

It seems like there are more than two SHMs in discogs. If anybody comes across a place that still has them in stock, I’d probably be interested. I have Beggars Banquet on SACD and love it. Most of my Stones is vinyl.

There are…but only two SACDs. The others are CDs.

1 Like

Had to pick Sticky Fingers up…and My Aim is True. Both are Japanese.

1 Like

New arrival. Curious to see if it qualifies as a Top SACD.

5 Likes