Trouble installing Yale

I wanted to ask the DS users, is there a difference between the last Yale Beta firmware and the final Yale release. I can’t seem to get my DS to recognize it as different from the last beta release, no firmware update takes place. My setup menu shows it as Yale, firmware version 1.6.3

Thanks in advance!

Dane

It is different. See, post three for a picture of the display after installation.

Perhaps try deleting all files off of your SD card, reloading Yale final, and retrying the update process.

@dstack010 [post 62]

Hi Dane,

Instead of deleting the old data on a used SD card, I would suggest reformatting your SD Card too.

I purchased 8 2GB SD cards from Wal-Mart (2 for under $12.00), if you’re in the U.S. They’re good quality PNY “Premium” cards. Since they’re so affordable, this allows for saving each FW version and you can use a new card too. I mention Wal-Mart, because it’s hard to find 2GB cards these days.

You should have these 5 files…

Screenshot_Yale_Files.png

Dave

davidldixon said

Instead of deleting the old data on a used SD card, I would suggest reformatting your SD Card too.

Thanks, Dave

If you reformat, use FAT16 for cards 4GB and smaller; FAT32, 4GB and larger. FAT32 is probably fine one smaller cards as well. I just have not tried it.

I formatted the card as suggested, and copied the yale files downloaded from psaudio. Doing this, I noted that my files are different from yours:

Mine:

DSDD0163.hex
DSDG0011.hex
fpga8713.hex
LOADER.CFG
USBL0021.hex

Yours:

DSDD064.hex
DSDG0011.hex
fpga9114.hex
LOADER.CFG
USBL0021.hex

The first and third files were

different, I went back to the psaudio site and downloaded the files again, and got the correct files. I don’t really know what happened, but apparently problem solved :o)

No problem Dane. I’m glad I could help you get up and running!

Enjoy!

Dave

I think PS audio should do an MD5# of the zip file and put the string as text associated with each download.

The trouble is that this might even cause more confusion for those not familiar with MD5#.

Excellent news!

Let us know what you think on the impressions thread after you get a chance to listen.

In case anyone is having trouble installing Yale (as I did), check out my post in Yale Final Released forum. Even after the second download and installation of Yale, turning the DS off completely (powered off), waiting 30 sec and then back on made all the difference.

Oops, sorry – my post was in the ‘Yale Final – Impressions’ forum.

[Edit: Philip’s post is here. Elk]

Elk said
davidldixon said Instead of deleting the old data on a used SD card, I would suggest reformatting your SD Card too.

Thanks, Dave

If you reformat, use FAT16 for cards 4GB and smaller; FAT32, 4GB and larger. FAT32 is probably fine one smaller cards as well. I just have not tried it.

I downloaded YF on Saturday, loaded without any problems but I didn’t notice any particular improvements I could point my finger at and then I read some of the posts here and checked out my download. The file list is slightly different to the ones listed in your post, the 1st file has a slightly different name DSDD0164.hex - should I re-download and does anyone know why this happens?

Regards

Frank

The files you have look correct.

Dennis

frank7036 said I downloaded YF on Saturday, loaded without any problems but I didn't notice any particular improvements I could point my finger at and then I read some of the posts here and checked out my download. The file list is slightly different to the ones listed in your post, the 1st file has a slightly different name DSDD0164.hex - should I re-download and does anyone know why this happens?
Do the version numbers on your display look like the ones in the beginning of the Yale Final thread: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/yale-final-impressions/#p46408

(You get to the version screen by pressing the little gear icon in the upper left of the screen.)

In particular is the Firmware 1.6.4 and the FPGA 0.91?

If not, install an older version, say PP, and then install Yale again. You might want to redownload and replace the files on you SD card as well.

Ted … congratulations on YF - for me, its your best version yet by a long margin.

I, too, had problems updating from YB. It just sounded awful even though the settings screen looked right.

Then I installed PP, downloaded YF again and re-installed and everything was fine.

My question: is it possible to make the firmware update process more foolproof - ie if the files on the SD card are not exactly as they should be can the update abort and restore the firmware to the current version?

Does anyone know if it is possible (just like the recommended formatting the SD card before an upgrade) to format the DS to have a really clean install?

Dennis and I have been working on some kind of embedded checksums in the files and checking them during the upgrade process. We could then validate them before we start loading the flash memory and then again later as we’re reading the flash memory. We had been relying on the builtin checksums in, say, the FPGA, but it’s become obvious that that isn’t enough. At worst we’ll discover that there’s something wrong with the flash memory or our usage of them.

One thing to do to that comes to mind that might help people now is for them to down load the files twice, put a copy on the SD card, use the OS to eject the card, then put it back in and compare the files against the other download. I’ve gotten burned multiple times by the files not being correct on the SD card after putting them there either because the SD card has crossed files or I forget to explicitly use the OS to eject it.

That’s great Ted. Thanks.

When you say compare do you mean just file listing and file size?

More than that, size and checksum of the whole file.

Dennis

“One thing to do to that comes to mind that might help people now is for them to down load the files twice, put a copy on the SD card, use the OS to eject the card, then put it back in and compare the files against the other download. I’ve gotten burned multiple times by the files not being correct on the SD card after putting them there either because the SD card has crossed files or I forget to explicitly use the OS to eject it.”

Ted,I did just that and there is a very slight difference in sound quality between the two SD cards.One install sounds ever so slightly quieter than the other. I would not categorize one being better sounding than than the other, but none the less, less noise levels are obvious. Have you ever heard a cleaner sound yourself between cards?

Did you check the version number screen after each install?

mark-d said "One thing to do to that comes to mind that might help people now is for them to down load the files twice, put a copy on the SD card, use the OS to eject the card, then put it back in and compare the files against the other download. I've gotten burned multiple times by the files not being correct on the SD card after putting them there either because the SD card has crossed files or I forget to explicitly use the OS to eject it."

Ted,I did just that and there is a very slight difference in sound quality between the two SD cards.One install sounds ever so slightly quieter than the other. I would not categorize one being better sounding than than the other, but none the less, less noise levels are obvious. Have you ever heard a cleaner sound yourself between cards?

I was wondering whether there is any correlation between using an “virgin” SD card and one that has been used previously for other firmwares (or other uses) and problems loading a new firmware. I’ve never experienced an issue but I don’t reuse the cards.