Trouble installing Yale

You know what the IT guys say:

PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard) 24_gif103_gif

Ha Ha.

What makes it worse is I AM the IT guy at my office and support the an 18 computer network with a server, back up server, and NAS back up. 65_gif

I think I need to fire myself.

Frode said PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)
a/k/a a warmware problem.
Dr. W said I think I need to fire myself.
The good news is you can then rehire yourself.

Hi everyone,

First post here and I’m after a little help.

I installed my brand new Directstream (running Pikes) last night and played it for about an hour using a Squeezebox touch via coax. No issues.

So I decide this evening to install Yale Final. It all seems to go just as in the video but afterwards, there’s no sound from the right channel of the Directstream. Ok, so following the advice above I re-install Pikes Peak and again, no sound from the right channel.

For abundant clarity, nothing else was changed in the meantime. I’ve swapped my cables around to exclude some problem with my preamp or power amp. I’ve swapped the left and right XLR cables on the Directstream and can confirm it’s the right channel. I’ve checked the channel balance of the Directstream and can confirm both read 100.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave

Have you powered off and on both the DS and the source? You might try power the DS off, on and wait for it to boot and repeat a few times in case the right mute relay got stuck.

After you upgrade to Yale you can press the little gear in the upper left of the screen and verify that the upgrade happened. They should match http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/yale-final-impressions/#p46408

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, Yale appears to have installed correctly from the Settings screen. I also tried rebooting all components as you suggested and again no luck. The problem exists on the optical input as well. I don’t have another source to test the other inputs at present.

Dave Paananen also suggested reinstalling Pikes then Yale. So I’ve done that too with no luck: Pikes -> Yale -> Pikes -> Yale. Channel balance is reported as 100/100.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

I haven’t a Dam* thing to offer you, down under, except my heart felt support. I feel your pain. I have been in that position before, with other equipment.

Just remember. This too shall pass. I am sure you will figure it out.

A question for TS. If it is a “stuck” relay, would opening the case and tapping on it with the handle of a screw drive help?

Bruce

A gentle tap on the relay would be ok, but the case is plastic and not very stiff… Tho I suggested that it might be a relay, I was under the impression that this was a fresh DS kit install in a PWD. I kind of doubt that it would be hardware if it had been running for a while and then just doing a software upgrade caused it to stop working.

One thing to check just because it might be easy - is there any chance that it’s the balance control of something earlier in the system? If you have another DAC…

At this point a phone call to PS Audio support might be the thing to do…

Thanks again Ted and Bruce,

Unfortunately no it’s not a simple balance issue elsewhere.

It’s a new Directstream DAC, not an upgraded PWD. It ran without any dramas for the first hour or so the night I installed it and then I didn’t actually have it on that day prior to the Yale upgrade.

Yes, Dave Paananen at PS Audio has replied to an email forwarded to the Australian distributor, so hopefully we’ll get it worked out soon.

I’ll let you know the outcome.

Cheers,

Dave