Understanding how the Bridge works with a PC

Elk said Interesting you have had an issue.

The Oppo 105 will adjust audio delay -100ms to +100ms. See: “Setup Menu”->“Audio Processing” → “A/V Sync.”

I have found a couple minutes of experimenting is all it takes. It is easy to line up a plosive visually and aurally.

Yes, that was my point: Oppo knows it’s introducing timing problems and gave users a way to adjust. I found it took more like an hour or two, but then not every video is the same, so one has to find the best compromise.

stevem2 said highstream, for the record, prior to post 16 I could not find any reference by you to using any software other than foobar and JPlay. That was after you bought your second PWD. As far as I know, foobar does not do video (I think JRMC may but I have no experience with that). I, and I imagine others, took your questions as relating to playing music over the Bridge, it's normal use. I cannot speak to what PSA may or may not have told you (post 14) as I was not party to that conversation. However, I have never seen PSA advertise the PWD with or without Bridge as being intended for the purposes you have in mind other than playing audio files. Mentioning you have audio and video files on your hard drive does not let people know that your concern is with video and the Bridge. Neither does mentioning "online streaming," which, to me at least, sounds more like internet radio than youtube, particularly given that PS Audio is an audio company and these forums are all about audio, and is at best ambiguous. I am sorry if the Bridge has not met your expectations. Numerous people on the forum have attempted to assist you in good faith. None of us are paid by PSA for our efforts. I am sure people will continue to try to help to the extent they can. My last suggestion is to consider using the Bridge for music and USB for the video. You won't be giving up much in the way of sound quality with the USB connection, particularly with low resolution audio.

By the way, I have also used my PWD/DS for watching TV. I use the Toslink connection for that (or coax from my Blu-ray player) and the Bridge or USB for music. Works well for me.

I hate discussions like this. I wrote in my initial post: “One of my HDDs has a lot of music and video in various file formats, as well as having quite a few CDs that I currently play with an internal Plextor CD/DVD player.” No one warned me off of video and no one mentioned that music had a timing issue, with foobar or anything else until I reopened the discussion. As for USB, my interest had to do with the Bridge being good enough to replace $1000+ in used hardware (a cheap USB cable would do). No reason to spend a few hundred extra for a Bridge PWD, when a regular PWD with USB would have to do. Contributors’ good faith was and is not in question; my point was/is about the current limitation, how it’s being presented and how people here think of it - or don’t. Unless one studies these forums very carefully or has some experience or expertise in these matters, one would never know about the timing issue unless they run into it and raise it like I have. TV with PWD is not a problem, the discussion is about computer usage.

Which raises WaveStream. I would think the point of a virtual sound card for a computer is to provide sound across a wide sprectrum of media with the company’s hardware. However, I’m brand new to that software and discussion and don’t know what PS Audio’s (or Dennis’) intentions are.

So let’s leave it there, please.

highstream said
No one warned me off of video and no one mentioned that music had a timing issue, with foobar or anything else until I reopened the discussion.
No one "warned" you as it did not occur to anyone to do so, you did not inquire about sync, and I doubt anyone else is having the problem you are experiencing.

As I have noted, it is an exceedingly common issue and typically trivial to resolve. I suspect you have another problem as well, given the timing changes with each video. This is odd.

I am sorry you are having problems.

If it’s trivial to solve, please tell me what it is. The point here is to find one! Audio alone is off 4 seconds here and someone else reported 12 seconds with their setup. Not exactly a trivial offset

If there is a solution (other than using an input other than the Bridge) I would think it would need to be in the player, i.e., to have it delay the video by an amount you determine. Whether the Bridge delay is consistent enough to make this practical I have no idea. I’ve never heard of a way to adjust that delay. Personally I would go with another input. My Macs all have toslink outputs, which should be fine for the audio portion of youtube and the like. It’s probably less common on PCs, though.

I assume, perhaps ignorantly, that the common way to deal with buffering control on the user end is via the software driver, which is why I mentioned WaveStream. But the technical side of the subject is far beyond my expertise.

highstream said I assume, perhaps ignorantly, that the common way to deal with buffering control on the user end is via the software driver, which is why I mentioned WaveStream. But the technical side of the subject is far beyond my expertise.
The hardware player's I have that do video and surround sound have some option somewhere to set a delay to sync the video and audio - it's not uncommon, I don't know if it's common.

VLC has such an option. I don’t use JRiver for video so I don’t know if it does.

But, no, in general audio only devices doesn’t have a buffer alignment option, if it’s minimum buffer size is larger than the video playback the audio device can’t sync up by it’s self, so it can’t work. In general only devices (or software programs) with both an audio buffer and a video buffer can fix it.

I’ll ask on the WaveStream thread about Dennis’ intentions. Assuming VLC or Zoom Player can adjust four seconds, far and away the biggest video issue for me is normal online streaming - YouTube, news clips, sporting events, Pandora, etc.