Upgrade P5 to P12

I find AudioQuest noise dissipation to be effective across the board (speaker cables, interconnects and power cables). I did not go expensive with cables.

Please keep in mind that ferrite comes in a number of mixes, each having it’s own properties and frequencies and Z. For RFI common mode suppression use, mix 31 is effective from 1-300 Mhz, mix 43 works from 25-300 Mhz, Mix 61 is for 200-2000 Mhz, and mix 77 favors 0.1-50Mhz. Remember this is the frequencies you are trying to eliminate on the outside of the cable.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Amazon site does not say anything about mix grades :smile:

Very interesting, thanks!
I ordered a TDK branded unit that should be effective from 10 MHz to 500 MHz, according to the Newark website.

And therein, lies the problem with Chinese vendors on Amazon. Live close to an AM radio station? Use 77. Got problems with Cellular? Use 61. Problems with noise hash or Shortwave transmitter? Use 31. Unless you know the mix, it’s a shot in the dark.

1 Like

In my experience, the P5 and P12 are going to perform pretty close to one another. With the same power coming into the house, although one being on a dedicated circuit, and the other being on a shared circuit, THD in is measured at about 0.25% difference (from around 2%). Both devices deliver about 01. THD out.

I think the P-12 has better screen features, but in my system(s) they perform relatively close.

2 Likes

In my experience there was a very big improvement
P5 to P12 given that the new P12 is a redesign
from the ground up.

The cost of doing this would not have
have gone into production if the delta
between the P5 and P12 were so small.

Look at this…

Merry Christmas

1 Like

Merry Christmas everyone!

I’m clear that that P12 has a more accurate sine (and multi) wave, and 3X lower output impedance, but otherwise the specs are the same. Actually, the max and peak current surge voltages are lower than the P5.

What I’m not clear on is if the reduced output impedance will make a difference in systems that are running the units near their capacity. The note in the P12 manual states that running it at 80% or more of its output will reduce its ability to handle peaks, which makes sense. Isn’t output impedance related to this?

From Paul: “When an amplifier demands a quick burst of transient power, the straight wall socket can’t deliver it without dipping in voltage,” he explained. “And if a passive conditioner is attached, that gets even worse. But when the regenerator is there, it delivers the energy without batting an eye—and that’s where the magic happens.”

If your P5/12 is already running over 80% of its output, then I’m not sure if it can deliver the quick burst anyway…?

1 Like

Your concerns are normal but…

Stop striving with the physics…the PS Team did all of that
already for us. Put in a trade up request; you have a
30 day home trial…Try it…you won’t be disappointed…

Should it not pan out for you, just return it for full refund!!!

Many here can attest to this …just get it and let it put
a big ole grin on your face :grinning:

Yes, I see your points!
My main concern is that I’m already running the P5 at 90% of its output capacity, and that’s with my system turned on but not playing music.
I actually think I found a way to fit a P15/20 chassis, so that may be the way to go!

1 Like

nikolay …yes indeed the P15 would be the way to go…
you wont regret it !!

My P15 seldom gets warm powering my JC5 (it is a big baby)…once in a while
it may but seldom…

Given the challenges to my lower back and avoiding heavy
lifting into the cabinet I would like for it to have been placed;
it is now on a plinth off of the floor a few short inches next
to my equipment cabinet.

Happy journeying

1 Like

If you’re at 90%, I’d suggest a P10 or P15.

2 Likes

Upgraded last week to a P12 from my old P5. Like others have posted the dynamics are better on the P12, more like a 3D sound. It’s so pronounced that I feel the sound even at lower volumes. Whereas both the P5 and P12 have significantly increased sound clarity over wall outlets and conditioners. It’s the sound depth when using a P12 that really shines. Loads on the P5 typically fluctuated between 35% to 55%. With the same equipment, the loads on my P12 fluctuate less between 25% low and 35% when at reference volume. In my opinion it’s totally worth the upgrade from a P5 to P12.

My system is a Marantz SR7013/MM7025 Amp with Klipsch RP-280 Fronts and 2 x R-112SW Subs. I play High Definition Audio up to 24/192. I’m using an SR Orange fuse in the P12 with an AC12 wall cable (not sure if the AC12 power cable really makes a difference but the SR Orange fuse is a solid upgrade over stock). Also installed a Power Port Classic on the wall (why not is my take on this).

2 Likes