USB issues with DSD

Hi everyone

I received a new usb cable today and it’s not playing nice.

When I plugged it in it didn’t work. I then switched my dsd off & on and it worked for about 2 mins before cutting out. I then switched the dac on / off again and it didn’t work at all. I’ve done it about 5 times and sometimes it works for 10seconds to 3 minutes and other times it doesn’t work at all.

Interestingly, my DSD is telling me that it’s getting signal when it’s not working. I’ve since put my old usb cable in and it has been working without a hitch for about an hour.

I given the ends a good clean and just can’t seem to get the new usb cable to work. Before I send back I thought I’d post the issue to gauge people’s thoughts.

The new cable is a curious evolved usb. My old cable is the original curious usb. I seriously doubt there’s compatibility issues but thought I’d mention the cables.

Thanks

A Curious Evolved USB arrived from Australia 3 weeks ago and was immediately installed between my Auralic Aries G1 and Chord Qutest DAC. Worked straight out of the box and sounds truly great. It also replaced the standard Curious USB.

Either the cable is defective or the power leg is disconnected. The DSD may or may not work with cables that disconnect the power line.

1 Like

Your experience also sounds exactly like what people deal with when their USB cable is too long. Being that it’s a Curious cable for audio, I’m sure it isn’t, but certainly sounds like what would happen.

1 Like

Hi mate, thanks, this is interesting. The new cable is 1m where the old one was 0.8m. Wonder if that’s made a difference. You would think with such an expensive cable it wouldn’t be an issue

Oh, only 1m? That shouldn’t be a problem. I could be wrong then. I start to get nervous if the length of a USB cable is getting close to 2m.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I believe Ted has commented a few times on USB cables, and I believe that what he said was that not all audiophile USB cables meet the USB cable standard.
I remember he often suggested to customers to buy a certain cheap cable (sorry, don’t remember the name) that is supposed to be constructed as per USB spec: if that cheap cable works, then the problem is with your audiophile cable.

For my part, I bought a 1 meter Audience AU24 SE USB cable and it works perfectly.

If you send a private email to Ted, I am sure he will give you the info.

1 Like

The standard Belden Gold cable from Staples, Walmart, etc. meets the standard. May still be able to find it on Amazon.

Maybe try a better / different cable. I’m using a curious usb. Sounds good. It’s definitely sensitive to different usb cables. None have sounded bad but I’ve tried a few different ones and they’ve all been noticeably different.