Using Dryer Sheets to Remove Static From Your Vinyl Records?

Hi All,

Has anyone tried using dryer sheets to remove built-up static electric charge from their vinyl records? If so, any success?

Would not material with which the dryer sheet is impregnated be a problem as it is deposited on your record while wiping the LP?

It sounds messy - unless there is a different technique of which I am unaware.

1 Like

@Elk

Elk, thats a good point, I donā€™t know much about the chemicals that are on them just heard they reduce static, here is a video showing how it can work with hair(video shows a wig but Iā€™ve seen it work with real hair too).

Ok, I found thisā€¦

Dryer sheets contain many ingredients, but the most common are:

• dipalmethyl hydroxyethylammoinum methosulfate, a softening and antistatic agent
  • fatty acid, a softening agent
  • polyester substrate, a carrier
  • clay, a rheology modifier, which helps control the viscosity of the coating as it begins to melt in the dryer
  • fragrance

Not sure how those affect vinyl.

1 Like

Good info. I would not worry about fabric the disinfecting agents as much as Iā€™d worry about the residual effects of the carrier as well as the softening agents. These could settle on the record and not only affect the record, but your costly cartridge.

I found that wet record washers do eliminate static better than Milty Zerostat. My Nitty Gritty has been around close to 3 decades and still does a great job. Nessie is there when I want less noise.

1 Like

@Serhan

Good call, no plans to use them on my record collection unless there is someone(maybe one that can explain the chemistry) that can tell me if they are ok to use on vinyl and my carts.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have problems with static load at allā€¦probably because I donā€™t have a carpet there?

Static depends on location, time of the year (relative humidity), fabric one wears, sofa material (as one gets up to flip or change record), carpet, footwear, etc. Then the turntable mat has its own contribution, which I think, is huge. I have had a few instances where the mat got stuck to the record due to high electrostatic charge. So, we have pre-play and post-play static considerations.

If the sheet purports to ā€œsoftenā€ fabric, it will definitely leave residue on the records.

2 Likes

Donā€™t dryer sheets require heat to work?

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t do it and in any case there are non-contact alternatives for static neutralization. The only proven method for static neutralization of dielectric materials in general is use of an ionizer. Those of us who work around electronics for a living are all ESD trained and ionizers are a must at all workstations (so are wrist straps, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s really necessary for handling LPs). There are a bunch of commercially available ionizers, all non-contact, on the market. If you live in an area of low humidity and have an issue with static, invest in a hand-held ionizer once and be free of worry.

2 Likes

I used a Zerostat gun. It worked and worked really well.

Many years agoā€¦ I closed the lid on my old Garrard turntable (yes, many many years ago) and watched the tonearm lift off the record and stick to the lid. One zap of Zerostat gun the arm dropped right back down. Static forces are super real and go beyond just attracting dust.

Can you still buy a Zerostat gun?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

3 Likes

Zerostat works pretty well. But if you donā€™t want one, youā€™d probably be better off with a bit of distilled water on a clean, lint free cloth.

1 Like

I havenā€™t had static issues since I started wet cleaning with a VPI and most recently a Degritter.

1 Like

Will dryer sheets make your records smell fresher? :joy:

1 Like

Seriously though, file under Just Donā€™t.

1 Like

Yeah, I already have and use a ā€˜Milty Zerostat 3 Anti-Static Gunā€™ and ā€™ Hunt: EDA Mark 6 Carbon Fiber Record Brushā€™ but I was hoping for an anti-static and dust remover in oneā€¦guess there are no free rides here. Iā€™ll stick with my zerostat and carbon fiber brush.

1 Like

It would seem that the chemicals in the dryer sheets would get into the record groove
and perhaps difficult to removeā€¦and damage your vinyl perhaps irreparablyā€¦

Everything to loose and nothing to gainā€¦

1 Like

Static isnā€™t something you can remove with surface tools. You need to wash the record to strip the charges away. Spray and wipe makes it worst because your body is transferring charges from the floor to your hand and towel.

Also buy a cheap electronic temp and humidity meter to see what your room humidity is. Any lower than 40% will get you static build up. Consider a room humidifier to keep it at 50%.

2 Likes

Naw, just buy a Zerostat. Problem solved.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like