Vinyl Related News and Video’s

Rather than add to existing threads elsewhere, I thought it would be interesting to collate vinyl related news/video’s in one thread for us looking to read/watch/keep up on the latest content.

Here is a long, but very interesting, video of a recent interview of Kevin Gray:

3 Likes

Very interesting video and great thread to give hints on such videos or maybe also new audiophile vinyl release series.

Never heard Kevin to praise tubes so much and mentioning his private all tube recording and cutting setup in planning to do analog tape sources or direct discs.

Also interesting to hear him again on the SFS Mahler Symphony cycle I mentioned so often here. All guys including our host speculating on unavoidable limitations of most dynamic music put on vinyl…listen to Kevin and how the vinyl release wasn’t just preferred by the consumers who compared it with the SACD. Unfortunately the guys stated but didn’t dig deeper into why digitally sourced vinyl can sound so much better than the digital media.

1 Like

Based on everything I’ve learned, I have a simple theory on this. I’m sure the physics will back up what I’m saying here, but I have to say I don’t have much time to do the thesis. Maybe an aspiring physics doctoral candidate who loves vinyl might opt to do their thesis on this topic.

And so the theory goes…

Recording digital onto vinyl brings the mechanics of motion physics into play. Where DACs work to represent sound as electric signal approximations subject to Electromagnetic physics, the representation of sound conferred by tracing grooves into vinyl are subject to, and limited by, Newtonian physics.

Most DACs try to represent a sound wave by approximating the curve of the line between two sample points. That approximation often extrapolates additional data that do not exist in the original signal. The better ones try to draw a bezier curve. The worst ones draw a straight line.

So what does a cutting lathe draw? With a vinyl cutting lathe, the movement of the cutting stylus is bound by the properties of and limitations of the physics of the stylus against vinyl. Newton’s three laws of motion governs the stylus movement and limits how the groove can be shaped.

As such, vinyl is unable to track wave motions that exceed it’s physical limits and acts like a band pass filter for signals that can only be accomplished via the limits of carving a curve into vinyl… kind of like a car that understeers when taking a sharp corner.

Why does this sound better? My best guess is that vinyl limited motion is physical in nature and our ears are built to understand sounds generated from tangible, physical interactions. Digital waves are unnatural in that they do not originate from physical phenomena, but rather an approximation of a sampling of physical phenomena… at least until they’re cut back into vinyl.

4 Likes

That’s at least an interesting theory! We probably can’t finally tell if this or rather the difference to the studio DAC’s sound enriched by the cutting processes and turntables artifacts and sound generate the vinyl sound.

As also the latter differ from album to album in the case we talk about, my theory is that it’s mainly the (for the vinyl version) missing digital media production step and the somehow different mastering process.

1 Like

I heard from a friend that MoFi will be announcing shortly three new One-Steps: Eagles, Eagles Desperado, and Cannonball Adderly - Somethin’ Else

For those in the US, you can call Music Direct today and they will take preorders via the phone to ensure you are assigned a copy. My guess is these sell out quickly.

2 Likes

Short update - the (2) Eagles One-Steps are now officially on the MoFi site if you’d like to preorder them.

For those of you wanting to get orders in early, you can call Music Direct today & preorder the following One-Steps. They are not posted to the MoFi sight yet.

Eagles - Hotel California

And the following list-

1 Like

Wow, this will take 10 years :wink:

Thanks.

Some time ago Monk‘s Music was also announced.

Sketches as One Step,will be great, Bitches and I robot also (although there’s the AP and Mofi already)

Any timeline? Did they publish the releases?

Unfortunately, no release dates or lead times (nor an order of release). Only to let me know these would be the One-Steps that Mofi would announce as preorders in 2022.

I called today and Music Direct took my pre-order for all of them. Also, for those who are unwilling to pay a year plus advance for titles, Music Direct will not charge for the pre-order until the day a pressing actually ships.

1 Like

I ordered the Miles ones and I robot…just to be sure I get them :wink:
Where did you first hear/read about them?

I also saw most now in a few online shops, but it’s difficult to recognize such releases there.

I’ve got a small group of Mofi friends on a distro list. One works at Music Direct, so he’ll share out when they can begin taking preorders on items.

Speaking of, there are some Miles Supervinyl now available for preorder. I don’t believe they will be limited, so you can also wait until they are out.

How does Supervinyl stack up…

How I waited for this one…

Impex also released a digital version before, for those without a record player.

1 Like

Not a new article, but interesting

1 Like

Better be quick to preorder the vinyl.

2 Likes

Ordered.

1 Like

Will be interesting to compare them to the originals. I guess they should sound better if Bernie keeps his fingers from fiddling with treble EQ and ensures organic sound.

I just compared my much appreciated 45 RPM SH/KG remastered AP reissue of Rollins Way out west with my original again after all the later vinyl rig upgrades. This comparison also changed, just as the classical music ones. Now it gets obvious that this original has a slightly better room ambiance and slightly more to the middle panned instruments, which is welcome, and the reissue has more extended bass and treble and dynamics, but also a bit more pinped sounding EQ. Both have their merits but I guess I now slightly prefer the original, which is surprising for me.

3 Likes

Just some ideas on what Mofi One-Steps are in que

• Folk Singer (shipping soon)
  • Unplugged (next up after Folk Singer according to Instagram comment)
  • On the Border (if no delays, 1st half of 2022)
  • One of These Nights (if no delays, 1st half of 2022)
  • I Robot (if no delays, end of June/2nd quarter 2022 according to Instagram and Facebook)
  • Bitches Brew (if no delays, end of June/2nd quarter 2022 according to Instagram and Facebook)
1 Like

1000 pieces, Grundman mastering, otherwise just available as the inferior Pure Pleasure release.

1 Like