Was Upcoming DS release - Now Windom has been released

I’ve been around the Roon/ HQPlayer bush many times. For me, Roon by itself, either through the Bridge or otherwise, is greatly improved by HQPlayer to the point that I can’t bear to listen to Roon without HQP. I upsample in the same way @speed-racer does, though I prefer MP filters to LP…

Reassess your MF vs LP choice if you haven’t with Windom.

1 Like

Ah, this explanes a lot, i also use the DSD direct to the power-in of my integrated amplifier.
Also on Snowmass 3.0.0 this was the best solution.

In theory, how does minimum vs linear phase effect the sound in terms of richness vs thinness?

MF messes with phase and changes the shape of the wave forms (IMO not good for audio). Linear phase looks like a time delay and since you are playing the CD a long time after it was recorded this can’t hurt :slight_smile:

Choose which ever sounds best to you, but realize such choices may affect other changes you might want to make in your system. (E.g. changing software.)

MP filters always seem to muck up the soundstage for me. I think that proper location and isolation depends on linear phasing.

I see, so linear phase has a quantum physics type effect which alters the time space continuum? I’ll summon the shaman to reinstall Windom :joy:

I know little about the technical side of this stuff. I’ve google MP vs. LP quite a bit to try and understand, in plain audio language, how they effect the sound, but I’ve yet to be able to understand what I’ve read because it talks the way you do. Jussi, the developer of HQP is like that, I usually never understand what he’s talking about!

I’ll say it more simply: If you have to filter in audio playback MF messes things up. LP doesn’t.

Give the poly-sinc-xtr-lp filter 24 hours on your system.

2 Likes

I got the it sounds good-er part, thanks! But “how” does it mess things up in audio language? Rich vs thin, dark vs bright, etc? I don’t understand what altering wave forms mean, in terms of sound.

That’s like asking me if you will like this cable or that cable in your system. How would I know?

In my imagination, there’s some sort of constant in terms of what these filters do to sound.

What they do perceptually is somewhat individualistic. LP will present transients more correctly. In some systems that may be perceived as too sharp, some might prefer MF not stressing their amps as much… What does your system sound like with 5% (just a made up number) higher transients? I don’t know.

Yes, that’s why I chose MP, because it sounds more smooth to me. But I’m not clear if MP is messing other things up…

Well, see if it’s messing Windom up for you… Only you can run these experiments.

1 Like

On the DSJ itself, does it matter if the Phase is set in or out with Windom?

Polarity is an individual choice per track. If you can’t hear a difference don’t worry about it.

The problem is that not only are some CD’s released with tracks the opposite polarity of other CD’s but, at times the individual tracks on a CD have differing polarities. And, at times, different things mixed together in a track have different polarities so there’s not even a “correct” setting for those tracks at all.

2 Likes

I’m confused, I use Roon but don’t know what HQplayer is? Thanks

I’m not sure how you can apply filters etc to the inbound and feel you are giving windom a fair shake when the filters were applied by ear based on other firmware?? It seems like a crap shoot at that point

In my exploration of Mac based audio software, I’ve found that every program adds its secret sauce to a certain extent. They all sound different. So it comes down to which one I liked the sound and function best. For me, after trying many, it rested on the Roon/ HQP combo. The differences in sound between the HQP filters is subtle and I only use a couple of combinations. Amarra sounds the best, but it was a buggy mess.

Roon is such a tranquil and effective library management land, I would never willingly leave it. And HQP makes it sound much better.

I did reload Windom and compared poly-sinc-XLR LP vs MP filters. They really sound close, not sure I could identify either better than a Monkey.

Does anyone know much about equalizers? How would I go about adding a bit of richness to Windom, particularly in the mid range? I really love the Windom soundstage, maybe the elements missed from Snowmass can be achieved with the EQ? I just don’t know enough about it.