Was Upcoming DS release - Now Windom has been released

Hi Mr. John, may i ask what version of Snowmass you are using ?
And what was the last version before you tried Windom the last time, was it Yale, Redcloud, Snowmass-300 ?

Yes, this is correct !
This means the update succeeded well.
But you still can suffer from a less than ideal load, because some parameter values maybe ‘wrongly translated’.

Whoever that original software developer was for the FW loader, PS Audio should hire them back just so they could fire them! :confounded: I’m with those who think this is unacceptable for what was (and still is) a state of the art audio component. I know the new takes priority in most companies, but I think PSA should consider putting some effort into cleaning this up - late though it may be in the product life of the DS.

1 Like

Nah, I think I’ll just live with it.

I’ll probably go back to Snowmass 3.00 to do a quick AB.

Have you already done 2 extra reboots ?

Yep, I think in the course of a week or so since it was launched - definitely.

It’s gone from full but bright in the highs to muddy sounding and uninvolving. It seems OK last listen.

ah, ‘burn-in’ issues, can’t say i had it that strong, maybe give it some extra 48 hours of music playing.
i understood that once a ‘version’ (Snowmass / Windom) has settled in, there is much less ‘burn-in’ issues the next time you load that version.

I still think the highs and mids are the weak points here. The bass is pretty good.

Nope - have rarely manually unzipped anything in my 33 years of using Macs. In my case, it was that I was using FAT32 formatting on the SD card. I just assumed it would work, as it was my default format for thumb drives on the Junior for the past few years with no issues. MSDOS FAT is working for me.

A couple of people have requested we split this thread into two sections: Sound Impressions and Installation Problems.

No one has the time to sort 1,100+ posts into categories, but we could close this thread and start new threads with these two titles. We could also start separate threads for DSD Sr and DSD Jr. if desired.

Is this a good idea, or should we continue along on one thread?

4 Likes

Whatever Bad Beef BOSS wants. :wink:

I could enjoy separating sound from problems, though they do have an intersection. . . . . I am less interested in reading about the load issues.

Let it run or split it? Either way is fine with me.

If the consensus is to split it up, I would suggest that you close this thread and start just two threads (something akin to):

Windom Reviews

DAC Firmware Installation Issues

My $0.02

I vote to keep it all together as is. I’d rather not have to keep up with 2 or more threads when to me it’s all related

We all created it organically, we don’t need to follow a framework like ITIL for these data

Let it flow as it will

I, in my Great and Unmatched Windom, think that we should…what were we talking about? ; )

4 Likes

With age these threads tend to include a lot of “noise”. I guess that’s forums.

1 Like

Windom versus SnowMass Sound Thread, installation/technical issues thread, and General discussion unrelated to the first two would make it easy.

2 Likes

I see, i also choose MS-DOS (FAT).
OS-X determines if the outcome will be FAT16 or FAT32.
The SD cards used are 2GB and 4GB.
In the past (< High Sierra) that resulted in MS-DOS (FAT16) now it results in MS-DOS (FAT32).
No problem, still can use them to perform updates on DSD (sr.)

Been using Windom for about a week. Bless you Ted. Its amazing.
Base is more firm and high treble has a sparkle that’s beautiful.
But the micro dynamics at all levels and frequencies is stunning.
Imaging is better, but my setup would upset Paul with horendous speaker placement.
More black floor is nice.
One example is what a harpsicord sounds like. It now has richer harmonics and more guts then with Snowmass…And I loved Snowmass.

2 Likes

I second Brett’s opinion.

In this whole thread there are some 10 extensive reviews that sum up the sound differences very well.
Maybe you can locate those and copy them to a new thread, so that new readers can quickly get an overview of the sound aspects.

2 Likes

I vote for the split. Don’t think it needs to be jr and sr. Just TS and sound impressions.