We also love hi-end watches

That seems like an elite list… I thought Omega had an in house movement but I guess “In house” and “own” movement (not a custom ETA or using other sourced parts?) is pretty rare and under constant debate.

A. Lange & Söhne, Audemars Piguet, Dornblüth & Söhne, François-Paul Journe, Girard-Perregaux, Glashütte S/A, Greubel-Forsey, Jaeger leCoultre, Kari Voutilainen, Lange & Heyne, McGonigle, Moritz Grossmann, Nomos Glashütte, Parmigiani Fleurier, Patek Philippe, Philippe Dufour, Roger Dubuis, Rolex, Urban Jurgensen, Vacheron Constantin, Zeitwinkel, Zenith

I regret selling my Aerospace. What a great watch; the only watch with a battery that interests me.

1 Like

I agree. They make a Skyracer (for the moment-it’s discontinued as Breitling was bought so they are “re-inventing” I guess) but it is kinda an expensive Casio imho…Looks plastic and is Quartz. My little Certina is a HAQ so battery obviously. It’s ok but hardly in the category we are speaking of.

Indeed for most real watch enthousiasts and collectors a real watch starts with a movement built by the same company. This usually means a startingpoint of 10k. Mine has just a company modified but supplied movement, but I’m no watch enthousiast of that kind. If the exact watch I dearly wanted would have had a movement by the same company, I also might have bought it, but fortunately it was a little cheaper and I didn’t care for that :wink:

Yeah. I know Tag isn’t “Haute Horlogerie” per se, but they make some attractive, sporty watches that are reasonably priced. I especially love the Monaco line, but have yet to get one. I tend to wear on of my Tags if there’s even the slightest chance of scratch while wearing my Omega. Btw, the Omega Titanium is big, but markedly lighter than you would expect. Plus it’s very durable and scratch resistant. It’s definitely the best watch I’ve ever owned.

Monaco line- wasn’t that the “Steve McQueen” watch? I like the Carreras and was also my first dive into higher end. I guess Omega is still my first watch and I always check my AD for pre owned. The POs I have owned were heavy, but I got used to it immediately. A Ti would be great. Love the DSOTM (pricy), The new Railmaster is cool on the retro side and a favorite which I’m not sure why but always has appealed to me is- 232.30.46.21.01.002. It’s that dang bezel. One of those pre-owned would be tempting.

Yes and no. The Monaco has a few “Steve McQueen” branded models but not all Monaco’s are SM. The Monaco line is based on the classic late 60’s square case automatic chronograph that was initially introduced in honor of the Monaco Gran Prix and popularized by McQueen in the movie Le Mans, hence the association, but has subsequently spawned many other models with different movements. Here is a basic SM Monaco:
Monaco%20Steve%20McQueen
But as you can see the series is pretty diverse. I love the Gulf Monaco for some reason.

1 Like

LS looks fantastic…

1 Like

All original 1968 Tudor.Just serviced and running about 3 minutes per month.

2 Likes

VERY nice Ron. I had a Black Bay and miss it much. The fact that the watch above is vintage and looks that nice is just more “betta”…

There must be a connection: the older I get, and I’m pretty old, the more I appreciate old things that still work well.

2 Likes

ciao, Sophia!

4 Likes

I’m a citizen eco-drive fan. I have two JR3000 series 2nd gen Skyhawk (JR3000) and two 3rd generation Navihawk AT (JY000-53E SS & JY0005-50E Black); the latter are worn for rare occasions and automatically set time with WWV nightly; I use their time base to set the JR3000’s (they drift ~ 4 sec per month).

Just point toward a window and they stay charged; my original JR3000 is coming up on 20 years old and I’m on the original (rechargeable) battery.

All the others were bought on ebay (the 4th generation Navihawk AT just added the atomic signal reception from China, so it wasn’t worth it to me to get the new version. And I was lucky enough to get the black that had never been worn (crystal was perfect) and the other only had a couple of scratches on the crystal and the seller didn’t realize he could just reset the watch to get the hands to sync back up with the digital display, otherwise he could have sold it for more. (I did tell him that, but he didn’t try it, so I just bought it 24 hours later.)

But for convenience it beats the Apple watch in that I don’t have to charge it nightly, the AT units stay synched with the WWV atomic clocks (yes, you do have to aim the watch every night so it can receive the WWV signal, but I made a special mount so it sees daylight during the day and points the watch to Ft. Collins at night), the other units drift very little per month so I only reset them every 2 weeks. And used on ebay they’re way cheaper than the Rolex and keep better time. And the fakers can’t knock it off like the Rolexes.

What’s not to like? But that’s just me.

–SSW

1 Like

Your logic is reasonable but comparing a Citizen to a Rolex is not even relevant. They are in vastly different leagues. Maybe (staying on the Japanese side) , a Grand Seiko may be a good comparison. The Ford Focus and the Bentley will both get you to the store, but there is no comparison. I have a nice little Certina that stays within 10 sec a year (close enough for me) but a Rolex, IWC, Panerai etc. are a different discussion entirely. I like Citizen , I still have a diver I wear when I travel as not much beats the “charge by light” capability. (and no one is going to steal it) I’m surprised it’s not more used vs a typical quartz movement (unless Citizen has the technology locked up perhaps).

1 Like

circa 1938

4 Likes

Ok Ron, that’s enough. I have been thinking about a watch and this and the Tudor is getting hard to take. I stay off WUS on purpose… (jk, great piece)

Bought at auction of household contents. Military-only issue IWC. Nobody really wanted it so I bid twice and “no one else? Fair warning! Once! twice! fair warning! sold at $100”. A collective yawn over the room as they moved to the Viking 6 burner range… I went home giggling like a 12 year old girl.

IMG_4776

2 Likes

Great catch! You definitely made some money that day (in case you sell it sometimes) :wink:

No idea what that is worth but I bet you get more than 100 bucks for it. Never even seen one like that. You missed the Viking range I bet… Great catch.

Yes, it was a great catch. But I don’t tend to buy to sell. Likely my son will inherit that too.
My good friend still is the king in my most recent world of going to auctions: He bought an Aesthetix Atlas stereo amp for $500. New tubes and a couple caps later and it’s the heart of his system.

2 Likes