Weird CD operation?

Anyone have a cd that sometimes plays flawlessly all way thru, sometimes randomly stops but then after a few seconds continues, sometimes stops and causes the transport to become unresponsive, where only a power reset via the main power switch allows it to reject?
Is there a solution? Taking it into the shower with me, etc?
It sounds really good when it behaves.

A particular CD or the player? Have you tied a little lemon pledge or other wax dusting spray on the ‘pit’ playing surface?

Gently clean the lens in the player.

Thanks Brett
It’s just one cd. A new one that has no visual imperfections. I’ve never cleaned a cd with spray wax but I guess if it leaves no residue, what can hurt?

I have buffed CDs with the compounds I use on cars for paint correction. It has brought some CDs from unplayable to working fine. Some are obviously scratched, others appear fine before working on them.

The treatment I give to my problem CD is to clone it via my laptop. I believe one of them has a center hole offset a little that causes playback problem. The other just too dirty (being on the shelf too long).

2 Likes

The wax is only to help with scratched ones. I’d return it, it’s bad.

Have you tried it on other players? I’ve had a few like that which gave me trouble on my main rig disc spinner but they always played on cheap DVD players or a portable CD player I had laying around, go figure. Sometimes I was able to fix them by polishing them with a product called brilliantize.

Wow! What do I have to lose

Nothing, and it is fun and satisfying.

@Elk Thanks for the tip. I used 3M Imperial hand glaze that I use on my black car.
Cd is playing normally now. Happy surprise!

3 Likes

Excellent!

It demonstrates how CDs are actually an analog format.

2 Likes

Opti-mechanical? Sort of?

There is vinyl washing machine, maybe, CD polishing machine also exists too.:slight_smile: