What are some of the best sounding recordings you've heard?

All Natalie Merchant’s albums sounds great, but Motherland stands out IMO.
On streaming services it’s available in 16/44, but I got it on HDCD CD. Sounds even better

3 Likes

Frank Zappa’s Joe’s Garage 2 & 3.
I am lucky to have an early vinyl pressing.
The RBCD is not too bad either but the vinyl does stand out in this case (and I have a crap turntable setup being mostly digital consumer of music).

I’d do a 24/96 rip of it but I’d want to do it again with a better turntable as soon as I could, and that’s a slippery slope that I can’t afford.

3 Likes

One of my musical “crushes”, along with Bjork and, er, Delia Derbyshire :slight_smile:

Howard Alden with Frank Wes
Music of Bill Evans
just buy the redbook cd. Great sound.

Parts of CSN&Y 4 way street is pretty good. (working from memory)

1 Like

David Elias - Vision of Her in DSD64. He also has a PCM version at 24 bit 352.8 kHz.

How does that Nora Jones analogue productions remaster sound compared to the original sacd? I agree w painter song. I swear ‘Don’t know why’ and ‘Cold Cold Heart’ were recorded at different studios.

The Analogue Productions remaster sounds MUCH better than the 1st (Sony??) SACD. The 1st remaster, while cleaner than the original cd, also lost some of the bloom in Norah’s vocals and some of the stereo effect from the original cd. The AP remaster is much cleaner and quieter than the original cd, but also retains the wonderful bloom in Norah’s vocals. I can also easily hear that her nose was completely stuffed while recording the song “Come Away With Me”. Now I will have to go back and listen to Don’t Know Why and Cold Cold Heart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any of the Pink Floyd albums after Relics. Allen Parsons was the audio engineer on Dark Side, and I think he was only 19.

Cosmically,
Mongo

As referenced by @Mongo in, I believe the “what are you spinning” thread and above Allen Parsons does some great work on the business side of the board…

This album is one great song after another very well engineered and recorded…killer!

Best,
-JP

3 Likes

Got the Alan Parsons Project box set, a few Christmases ago. All of his albums on CD, and one more that had never been released. Very tastey. Think you would like the one he released last year.

Pyromanially,

Mongo

1 Like

4 Likes

Absolutely love David Gilmour Live at Pompeii.

Yes on Blu-ray.

And I typically hate live recordings.

3 Likes

It’s one of my Reference BluRay’s along with Roy Orbison’s Black & White Night.

1 Like

Got this from my two most respected sources of Great Recordings, so I’m guessing it is good​:man_shrugging:t2::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::

2 Likes

What format Mr. Beef?

Qobuz - it was a recommendation in both cases, not a Meatspace transfer of Bits. So it was/is whatever the Qobuz file is, which your gear will sort out. Frankly don’t pay a whole lot of attention to that any more.

And don’t call me "Mr.":cowboy_hat_face:

Or “Sir”. Totally have hated it my whole life when people call me, “Sir”. Makes me feel old.

Though I do have to add that, when I perceive that someone younger than me has been trained to do so, I respect their respect.

1 Like

Must admit this one has been getting a lot of air time recently

2 Likes