What are some of the best sounding recordings you've heard?

Not that much younger I suspect. Wow you are touchy about titles and forms of address. No disrespect intended. I do think format matters because I’ve been listening to some vinyl lately that I can’t imagine can be equaled for pure enjoyment. YMMV and all that.

No worries - As usual, I’m mostly about comedy.

" Wow you are touchy about titles and forms of address."

What I was saying is that I’m not,

That’s what I understood sir

Wait…I thought I Made It Clear that… :grinning:

Nah, I’m leaving this thread and my lovely Abdullah Ibrahim Album now towards my bed Dr. beef, stay well :wink:

Sir- please step this way to the curmudgeon thread…

Dag Nabbit!!!

Henceforth, I shall be referred to as “Your Beefyness”, or by the Symbol :crown:

4 Likes

Thanks much for those links! There’s a lot to newly explore as pretty well recordings and there are single really good examples among them. But overall, and I know quite a lot of them, I think those (starting with the 25 list) are the worst lists I read of, of what one can expect from audiophile quality. Surely it has to do with the fact that most is Pop/Rock and other close genres.

I think if people judge their audio by those albums (with single exceptions), whatever gear they try to select, will bring them nowhere near really top audio quality. But this is normal for public lists mainly from common editorial departments.

But again, thanks much for providing, still interesting for certain examples, nothing at all offensive against you!

2 Likes

The problem with the links provided above to all those audiophile albums is not telling you which specific source to actually acquire to gain the audiophile experience you may be looking for. In fact, many of the links are just Amazon affiliate links to a version of the album, but not necessarily the audiophile version of that specific title.

The albums listed may provide a good starting point if you find an album you like, but you will need to do some further research to find the audiophile version of each record.

For example, in the link for the 57 essential alubms lists Supertramp - Breakfast in America. Great album, but I am sure the picture disc shown is not an audiophile source you would actually want to buy. When you click on the link it just talks about the album, but does not list the specific version of the album you need to track down.

1 Like

That first article from Stuff with the list of 57 essential albums is interesting. So many are great albums that I love to listen to and love the music but never really considered “audiophile.”

1 Like

Happy cake thing–birthday?

I guess forum b-day. It’s been few years which is crazy. I guess time flies when you’re having fun. :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Cake Day recognizes your yearly anniversary of joining the forum.

Yes, knowing which is the best source of each album would be good to know. That’s actually what I was searching for, but was unable to find.
It would be great if there was a searchable data base with links to the best source.

Love Eric Bibb. Loved his Dad, Leon, too.

1 Like

I have maybe six or seven of his SACDs.

Never found a great master list or place that identifies the best source either. Probably the best source I have used over the years is the Steve Hoffman Forum, but you still have to do your due diligence to find what you are looking for.

For symphonic music, I could quote many recordings, as it is one of my favorite repertoire.
Here is one to begin, recorded 1990, february 12, by John Pellowe in the Masonic Auditorium.
Cleveland Orchestra has often sounded great under Decca’s mikes, for instance marvellous Prokofiev’s Cinderella with Ashkenazy cond. (1983), recorded by the kind of magician Colin Moorfoot. This #10 by Shostakovich is another great achievement, and among the best orchestra recordings ever. Smooth colors but powerful impact, most realistic soundstage and stupendous dynamics. Even considering high level Decca standards, this recording is outstanding.

5 Likes

AVRJ_4003-45__67241__04152021033455-3204
Ella and Louis
mono
45 rpm

4 Likes