What are you spinning right now?

Track 5: Hablando is especially good

Enjoyable, but compared to the live performance the piano seems a little bit too prominent. This is a studio recording, it’s a shame the live performances were not issued as were their Beethoven , below. I recall the Mozart were live broadcast.

Beethoven Violin Sonatas 1: Alina Ibragimova & CĂ©dric Tiberghien - Wigmore Hall Live

Dr. John ‘The ATCO Studio Albums Collection’

Qobuz 96/24 Edition Studio Masters

2 Likes

Thanks. I will check it out. I do try to buy music that I like so it is on my server for future use. Listening to Tidal thru Roon and there is a lot of stuff available to listen to there too.

You’ll have to buy this one

Kreisler: Violin Music [Jack Liebeck, Katya Apekisheva] [Hyperion: CDA68040]

Johannes Brahms: Gesang der Parzen, Op. 89
Monteverdi Choir & Orchestre RĂ©volutionnaire et Romantique/Sir John Eliot Gardiner

1 Like

Helen Merrill “Deep in a Dream” . . . a very satisfying album with interesting production.

From inventive moodiness to down right funkiness.

Stanley Turrentine & Milt Jackson “Cherry” CTI Supreme Blu-Spec CD2

1 Like

J.S. Bach: ‘Weichet Nur, betrĂŒbte Schatten’ BWV 202 (Wedding Cantata)
Joanne Lunn, soprano
Bach Collegium Japan/Masaaki Suzuki

I continue to enjoy Suzuki’s Bach interpretations. Additionally, Bis always has wonderful sound.

I greatly enjoy the concept of listening to Eastern musicians performing Western music.

1 Like

Wolfgang Fortner (1907-1987)

David S. Ware, “Go See the World” (Columbia 1998)

DSW’s version of “They Way We Were” is unreal. Here is what AllMusic has to say about it:

The hinge of the entire album is “The Way We Were” (yeah, the Marvin Hamlisch tune), where Coltrane’s microphonic modalism meets [pianist Matthew] Shipp’s polytonal architecture of scale and [bassist William] Parker’s scalar framework for a sonic exploration of gargantuan expanse. The skittering skeins of notes and chords Shipp lays down for the ballad have Ware dropping every tonal shade he can come up with on them, as [drummer Susie] Ibarra sends time to the bathroom for a break. The original melody slithers back in the window as a modal blues in Ware’s brilliant, soulful grunt and wail. You can hear all the melancholic nostalgia in the world in his playing, which in itself resists the feeling as if it were the deadliest thing on earth. Ware is looking for alchemical transformation with his band, to take what was once sickly sweet and syrupy and make of it a vital force for change both musical and social. This tests the notion of interpreting standards to the breaking point and shatters them with a battering ram. I can see Barbara Streisand choking on this as if it were broken glass in her throat, yet she could not deny with her dying breath (nor could Hamlisch) the reinvention of the tune through a lyricism so pure it has been purged of false emotion and looks back only as a reference point for going further. Into what is what cannot be known, but further is both the question and the answer. Ware has gone and seen the world, and he’s found it heartbreakingly beautiful, able to be understood only by the utterance of music.

3 Likes

Mr. Ware is apparently not my cup of tea
glad you enjoy it.

Bummer that DSW’s music isn’t your thing . . . but that is what makes a horse race!

1 Like

discovered this great young singer watching youtube videos of Normans rare guitars

19%20PM

1 Like

Led Zeppelin II. Because once in a while you just have to.

5 Likes

After four months in mothballs, my PSA system is back up, albeit with NHT Super Ones in place of the Vandersteens while I wait for the demon kitty to stop jumping on top of them (they are well protected, but unlistenable). Kate Bush seemed a good place to start!

Next up, Brendan Perry. This sounds amazing on the NHT’s, maybe everything is getting warmed up?

1 Like

I REALLY like this album!

3 Likes

This is a long time favorite, too bad it is pretty harsh sounding (accentuated by the bookshelf size speakers). I did find that reversing phase noticeably helped, an unusual observation for me.