What are you spinning right now?

Les Harpies, In Nomine
innomine
The mix of organ solos, duets and small early instrument tracks makes for a fine late night concert. The organ dates from the mid 1500’s and has recently undergone a near total rebuild. The manually pumped bellows makes for an occasional muffled wheeze and wooden thunk. And the bird calls are a treat. Available on Tidal

1 Like

Immersed, this morning, in one of the towering monuments in all of music - -

Johann Sebastian Bach: St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244

1 Like

And a perfect time of the year for listening to the Passions.

I wanted to hear some Herbie, but not Herbie, so I pulled these out of the stacks and listened to them yesterday and again today:

Eric T. Johnson “Herbie Nichols Project Volume One”

Followed by:

Simon Nabotov “Solo: Spinning Songs of Herbie Nichols”

Edit to add: This Nabatov record is like a crash course on solo jazz piano. Stuns me every time I play it.

1 Like

Can we assume you also “enjoy the concept” of listening to Western musicians performing Eastern music? :wink:

Absolutely, but this is much less common. I also have insufficient understanding of Eastern art music to even guess as to whether Western musician are doing a good job with Eastern traditions.

I continue to find fascinating that so much of the world has adopted Western music, especially Western pop. One exception to this appears to be India which, to my knowledge, continues to take a bit of a hands-off approach to Western pop.

Back to Cassandra Wilson. I think she’s brilliant. I wish they would put her most recent “Austin City Limits” onto disc.

Cassandra Wilson “Sings Standards” Verve CD

3 Likes

Qobuz new release 96/24

1 Like

Got back from Cuba this week. Trip of a lifetime. Crazy place. Visited the premier Tabacco farm in the world (90% of all crops go to the state) and a Jazz club in Havana (amonst dozen of other things).

The music wasn’t my thing but they were very well trained musicians. They clearly had lots of classical training but loved jazz!

Brought back so many fine cigars. Behike 54, 56 and 60s straight from the plantation.

3 Likes

Stumbled upon this on Tidal - nice Friday ‘Blues’.

1 Like

Replacing some of my loved LPs now that I sold my analog gear. Picked this up for $4.50 at Barnes and Nobel. My wife bought me the LP for Christmas just before we got married. Sentimental favorite for sure. DR of 16. Not a great master though. Lots more to wring out of this gem.

1 Like

This is a wonderful album and extremely good sounding. I have both the hires and the vinyl.

I can recommend the calm second track for detecting sound quality differences between whatever. The very initial kind of spherical, holographic plucking tone and the following guitar work have so many nuances, detail, energy that every bit of difference in transient response, microdynamics and ambiance can be determined. Snowmass has incredible detail level, microdynamics and speed here as well as ambiance. First time I heard „black background“ I guess.

2 Likes

Couple war horses from my LP stable replaced recently with a cheap CD. Loved the sound of this record within seconds of hearing it for the first time. I know it’s become an audiophile staple but that’s irrelevant. Still dig it!

2 Likes

Composer - Jeremy Soule

1 Like

Almost out of money, yes you think that’s funny…so glorious.

3 Likes

Dave Brubeck Jazz Collection (44.1 16)

1 Like

The greatest box set ever?

1 Like

Need to get tickets to his annual winter homestead at his club on the near south side this year.

4 Likes

From Cadillac MI and lived in NOLA for several years after Katrina. Records for Chicago’s Bloodshot Records. Dig this record.

Sorry, I’m manically posting. Making up for last weekend. I could be involved in the blood feud about preamps instead…

2 Likes