What subwoofer if any are you using in your system?

…and allowing you to otherwise optimally place your main speakers for sound staging, imaging and, what I call, clarity.

1 Like

I have a REL T/5i wired to my center channel speaker to add to the HTE experience and a “vintage” SVS PB2-Ultra, which does double duty as 2.1 and 7.1 sub c/o my Anthem AVM 50v2 preamp/processor.

I have very LF-capable Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1 speakers, which can reach down pretty low. I much prefer listing to stereo with the monster SVS (Twin TV-12 Ultra 12" woofers and a 1,000 watt BASH amplifier) sub engaged. It really fleshes out the whole range of the playback, and the Anthem does a nice job, via Anthem Room Correction, integrating the big sub (independently) into the stereo and 7.1 channel playback.

FYI/FWIW.

1 Like

I have two JL Audio F113’s. The balanced out of my BHK preamp goes into the JL Audio CR-1 Balanced out from the CR-1 to each Sub and each M1200. I have two RCA LFE outs going into the CR-1 from my surround processor going into the CR-1 with two RCA’s running from the CR-1 to the JL subs. There is a button on the CR-1 that selects either 2 channel mode or LFE subwoofer mode. Once properly set up it has been the ultimate solution to integrating 2 channel and home theater! Throw in the perfect blending of subwoofer and speakers in 2 channel listening the JL Audio CR-1 is the Swiss Army knife of hifi!

2 Likes

Very nice!

I am hoping to snag a second PB2-Ultra some day. Been looking for a while… They are getting a bit long in the tooth and they don’t show up for sale often.

1 Like

My favorite SVS sub is the SB-16 Ultra. Fast and musical one of their best subs for two channel in my opinion.

3 Likes

I understand 2 subs in a stero system would be preferable but would you advise: better one than none? I am just a bit worried that my wife won’t accept 2 of them… :thinking:

1 Like

One is absolutely better than none.

1 Like

Yes. One is definitely better than none. I used one for years and was very happy. Once I properly set up two it was transformational for me and my system. The sound properly set up in 2 channel started me on an upgrade path currently only two channel that has yet to end! If it wasn’t for the deal I got on the two JL subs I don’t think I’d be this invested as I am with out them. That for me is a huge statement!

1 Like

Yes, in most rooms, IMO.

1 Like

Had one sub with opposing 12" drivers. It sounded good. An added benefit to sound quality and positioning is it cancels out vibration.

A few companies make them, you might try one of them.

3 Likes

None is not preferable, no.
When purchasing one, consider choosing a brand/model that will allow you to buy a second one for later. Just in case.

2 Likes

Examples:
Dynaudio Sub 6 - High end active subwoofer with advanced DSP
MartinLogan | BalancedForce 212

1 Like

On both my systems I have a single 12" sub which provides a useful sound enhancement. On the main system I would prefer to have two, since the only place for the sub is tucked into a corner and there is some directionality at low volumes, but there is just nowhere I can put a second. On the desktop system, listening nearfield to speakers on the desk with the sub under the desk, I do not believe that a second sub would provide any marked improvement.

2 Likes

Elac & B&W both make twin balanced subs. Paradigm makes tri-balanced subs.

1 Like

Bower&Wilkins DB3D. App based calibration to correct for the room. Automatic settings to blend in beautifully if you - like me - have a pair of B&W speakers. 802D2 that is… Works very well for adding the extra octave and oompf.

1 Like

wondering what subs any Focal owners have used with good results. Looking to compliment my Focal 1038s

1 Like

I’m bias toward JL Audio but I have heard them and they sound really good with REL subs.

1 Like

I run 3 REL Series S subs in my system. A Carbon Limited in the front corner playing both channels and two S/5s located on the walls on either side of my listening position playing only the left and right channel signals respectively. High level connection at the amps speaker terminals. They lend an impressive authority to the sound without calling attention to themselves. Highly recommended, but I’m sure JL and SVS can do the same or similar…

2 Likes

Jamo D6 Sub. 15" driver, 400 Watt D class with MFB (Motion Feedback). I am very impressed with this rig. Although built primarily for THX theater use, it does impress in my 2 channel application. Very deep and punchy. I got it for free as it was dead. Luckily it was the ribbon cable that attaches from the inner cone to the feedback circuit board - it was torn half way through - a result of standard ribbon cable flexing back & forth. Without the position signal from the cone - it would not work at all. I replaced the ribbon with a flexible 4 conductor cable - and Boom! Literally. Prior to that I had a pair of 12" Visonik HUGE excursion subs under a Bryston 4B NRB - the Jamo was a vast sonic improvement. Just need to find a 2nd one…
Free is good,
A satisfying repair is gooder. It’s hard to get thru the day without a good McGyvering…
Only complaint - no balanced XLR input…

2 Likes

If you’re looking for a reason to purchase 2 subs over 1, SVS offers a discount if you purchase 2 subs at the same time :slight_smile:
If the 16-Ultra Series subwoofers are too big visually, their SB3000 series has a much smaller footprint.

2 Likes