what would you say if...

SST: i have zero doubt he is sincere about the Weiss sounding better in his world. would venture to guess some?/many?/most? (maybe ME) might even agree if given the chance to listen in. i can also believe that if my set-up and/or room were different…the Weiss could sound “better” in my home. my issue was/is not accepting the possibility of different results (opinions) from others who have tried the piece.

Elk: spot on!!..it does make me feel better. much better then letting it slide. had i not replied then confronted…my “Wa” would have been disturbed (what exactly is Wa again?? :)) ). not that i have illusions of him apologizing or understanding my point of view). rather my internal feeling of happiness knowing i didn’t let this pos’s comments go unchallenged. yes…i believe when someone does something “wrong”…they need to be called out. again…not doing so has never been an option for me.

Gordon: don’t they have meds for NOS??. maybe we could get him some :smiley: . but seriously…you could be correct here G…as witnessed by his most recent remark…

"show me a SINGLE impressive or state of the art system that uses the PS Audio DAC. I’ve really only seen the PS Audio in budget systems by people who are just starting out in audio."

he obviously hasn’t seen much…and YES!!!..i’ll be confronting him on this one too! >:)

Levi, I’ve read that thread and I’d offer a word of caution on your last statement. Given his vaunting of a system whose value is in excess of “$100K”, I’d venture that any alternate high end system you care to mention with the PWD will be dismissed as being not on the same level as his. Be prepared.

tony22 said: Given his vaunting of a system whose value is in excess of "$100K"

Chuckle, chuckle... I prefer to gloat privately over how inexpensive my system is. B-)
Short of my sons, it's my pride and joy and it sounds good because of what I've learned hanging out with you guys. ^:)^

All I’ve learned from hanging out here is how to spend more money on things I never thought I needed, like cables, power cables, vibration isolation, 2 subwoofers, Helmholtz room damping . . .

:slight_smile:

–SSW

It is hard for people to take back negative statements, and it is much easier to do so with positive statements. Once someone has given in to the temptation to say all of those negative things about a product where do they go from there except to amplify or expound their original opinion? It’s different if some says “I thought that was great, but the next day I heard something even better.” The behavioural economists and psychologists call this ‘framing bias’ and it is sadly a big part of life.

David said: it is sadly a big part of life.

we can run into this almost anywhere and often we can unwittingly be sucked in to fueling it.
In this particular case, the "know it all" tone was picked up by the antennae but if looked at realistically there should be no effect other than what the reader chooses to take from it.
Funny how we as humans can do that.
"That guy really pissed me off". "What guy", "The one who posted on the internet". "OH". "I'll fix him". "WHY"
Certainly we all have a choice of how to react and I'm not positing a right way or wrong way.
I do think when these little events present themselves that it is a perfect opportunity to WATCH ourselves react and to then see if that is still what we feel was the best reaction. Then we can proceed either way with the next one.
There is also such a thing as being addicted to confrontations where we can actually subconsciously be trolling for opportunities.
Remember.... every emotional uprising stimulates hormones [good or bad] that can have a strong effect on our physical and mental well being. WHY can become an interesting and valuable question.

Being proven wrong is like winning the lottery

“It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right.”

― Lemony Snicket, The Blank Book

Levi said: he obviously hasn't seen much

This reminds of those who proclaim they have 25 years experience, but their actions make clear they have had the same year of experience 25 times.
i can't be the only one who thinks this guy is an arrogant narcissist.?? or maybe i am???

You are being far too kind...
Elk said: This reminds of those who proclaim they have 25 years experience, but their actions make clear they have had the same year of experience 25 times.

Sounds like something that Dr Johnson or Twain might have said

It is a common phrase, but I do not know an attribution.

Chuckle, chuckle... I prefer to gloat privately over how inexpensive my system is. B-)

I actually shocked myself when I thought about the value of my system in today's dollars - that is, if I were to buy it right now all over again. $-) Nothing like that guy on Audiogon, but it still took me by surprise. Thing is, that's the culmination (so far! :D ) of over 25 years worth of slow, careful work. I think most of us here are like that - we're proud of what we have and we all seem to have been very cautious and deliberate in how we've gotten here. But we seem to have gotten here with just a little bit of humility. ;)

some really good comments here guys…much food for thought. i agree…there are many consequences to our day to day decisions and actions. aggressively confronting and “feeding the fire” may not be “the right” thing to do for many reasons including unintended consequences.

not to change the subject but here’s another question along the same lines…

what if any… are the consequence’s of inaction? (ex: not reacting and letting intentional disrespectful behavior slide off your back). i have my own feeling on this (the downward spiral of the human race and civility :smiley: ), but that’s just me. would love to hear other thoughts on it

intended?, unintended?, to the people directly involved?, to society as a whole??. what are the consequences (if any exist in your opinion) of ignoring and doing nothing?

Great questions.

I’ll try to give my perspective be it right or wrong.

Levi said: what if any… are the consequence’s of inaction?

In the A’gon case, probably nothing.

If one wishes to take action, Do we do it with the tone of the original poster? or Do we do it in our own “normal” tone?

These could pretty much be the same options in many situations.

We could also make a purposeful attempt to “soften” the dialogue by “counting to ten” and thinking of where we would prefer the conversation to go.

Society as a Whole is in rush mode. No time for this or that even when we know we should. We have “our space” and “peace” and how dare anyone intrude into either.

I posted recently on an exercise I used on ducks and geese in my back yard {TONGLEN].

you simply breath in through the nose the fears, aggressions etc of your subject and then exhale slowly by the mouth compassionate and reassuring thoughts. Dark smoke IN and sparkles OUT. [for a visual].

This has a strong effect on out expressed tone and energy and the other party feels it. They then also have a choice to remain the same or chill out.

The main beneficiary is yourself.

Let’s hope it is contagious.

:-h

Levi said: . . . what if any.... are the consequence's of inaction?

Context.

On Audiogon, likely little and it will probably escalate. The same for reacting to a rude driver, etc. There are, however, other times when we need to intervene to prevent real harm.

Extending courtesy, not reacting poorly, etc. begets positive behavior in others.

Unfortunately, humans resonate more easily with their base instincts. Whoever believes humans are inherently good has not seen three year-olds at play.

You know, maybe I’m just getting old here. I used to believe in the idea that if no one confronts the bad in the world then nothing will ever change. Yet after many battles over many years I still found myself waking up in a world where the wicked seem to prosper too often and the good folks don’t seem to get a fair shake. Trying to fight that fight is like playing a never ending game of whack-a-mole. As it stands, the only thing I have found that I can change in this world is how I choose to live in it with what little time I have been given. Do I ever whack any moles like I used to? Sure do! The only difference is now I only concern myself with those that effect me or my loved ones directly. Most of the people I have come in contact with who find it necessary to build themselves up by tearing others down are just trying to mask their own feelings of inadequacy. I have also learned that you get a lot more flies with honey than with kerosene. Sometimes it takes more strength to let things go than to take care of business. What would the world look like if we all treated the A-holes of the world with the love and respect that we would want them to treat us with? Even if I don’t see myself as an A-hole that doesn’t mean that this is how the world views me. Who knows maybe if I was caught up in something and found myself being an ass at some point and someone was kind to me or took an interest in why I was being an ass instead of just being an ass right back to me… Might make me think a little bit. Definitely would not be what I was expecting.

From a site, one of many, dedicated to promoting kindness and building universally shared values.

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/121-Timeout

http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/113-Let-Em-In

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.

To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”

― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Gordon: my sister has been suggesting similar exercises so you can’t be to far off :-)) Seriously am considering trying something “meditation-yoga-relaxing-like”. Know absolutely nothing about it.

Elk: kinda what I’ve been alluding to and waiting for comment on.

Are we good and learn to be bad or bad and learn to be good? I think humans are breaking bad with hugely variable amounts of success. What society comfortably tolerates/allows is often the boundary line between good/bad. We take what we can get away comfortably. If the action becomes increasingly uncomfortable for what ever reason, we are less driven to do it. In this context …is there no consequence to ignoring or not reacting. Never mind my loud mouth nature…that’s just me and I’m working on it :smiley: . How about a calm reaction pointing out his insulting comments. Isn’t pointing out the boundary better the letting the op think he did nothing wrong and never crossed the line? Not talking true trolls and I don’t see this situation as a troll having fun. Just someone being an ahole. I’ve found many times that these types do behave differently going forward after being called out…but then sometimes…not so much. Some success at behavior modification would seem better then not trying and none?.

Euophnite: I do see myself chilling out with age. Some may find it hard to believe but ive chilled out a bit over the last few years. 50 now…thinking you’re on to something with “maybe getting old”. With age often comes wisdoms? I’m ready and waiting.

To me it comes down to this, is this someone I would choose to engage in a conversation with if I met him in meet space?

If yes, then equal measure seems to work best for me. But I’d tug on his spending $100K and you getting the same or better for a mere fraction… :smiley: And there are several other strategies that can be applied with an equal amount of good natured ribbing (or not…).

If no, then if I do engage in an exchange with him, I am giving him my support, by sending energy his way, which just fuels the drama all the more, and at least I understand that going in.

Some folks thrive on drama, so much so that they will deliberately create more just to satisfy their needs, but they are also usually the ones who complain about too much drama in their personal lives. Go figure.

I moderate on a site where we made up mod t-shirts based upon the ‘We Know Drama’ theme from the tv show. And what works best is to put them on ignore. They usually wither away after being starved for attention. Of course others consider it great sport to duel until digital blood is spilt or a head explosion occurs. That’s when we step in and clean up the mess, or if we’re lucky, we’ll head it off at the pass. (think Slim Pickens yelling that from Blazing Saddles) :thumb

JJ :smiley:

Levi said: Are we good and learn to be bad or bad and learn to be good? . . . What society comfortably tolerates/allows is often the boundary line between good/bad. We take what we can get away comfortably.

Yes.

As with all animals, we are selfish and egocentric. Societal norms serve as limits. No society has needed rules to keep people from being too good.

Interestingly all religious topologies, especially those with a creation myth, have an explanation for why people are bad and offer incentives for good behavior. Some assert people are inherently flawed and/or the world is flawed. Others, such as Christianity, claim people are inherently good, but something went wrong.

(Nice post, Euophnite.)