When is enough enough? (Tweaks)

I have said it before. Curiosity, boredom and a high credit limit can be the cause of a lot of experimentation in this or any other hobby…

Oh dear—I’m curious about Symposium Super Plus speaker platforms.

1 Like

Enough is enough when your wife is leaving you for somebody who is satisfied.

1 Like

That might be one too much. Depending on circumstances.

It was seeming that way. Then suddenly series II Iconoclast speaker wires hit me. Now in another cable rabbit hole with connecting tunnels. The previous plateau was fine. But suddenly I am back to music rediscovery from those new Iconoclast series II Vp curve flattened at higher frequencies and finding out reducing RF and EMI has many levels. It is not just a little bit better but momentous steps are still possible without buying more expensive electronics .

Better cables don’t need to be the most expensive either but still require system matching.

I tend to try “tweaks” that have some scientific rationale and then reach a plateau of great sound until/if another interesting and “bang for the buck” tweak turns up.

There are some snake oil companies out there that turn my stomach, but I’ve given up trying to “save” anyone gullible enough to try power cords that cost $15k. Knock yourself out.

My general approach is remove as many variables as reasonable so added the PS Audio Stellar PP3 and this also doubles as good protection during thunderstorms. All source components are fed from this and my two stereo amps have a dedicated 20A branch circuit. That cost about $60 and a few hours of my time for massive improvement (and the lights no longer dim during musical peaks!)

Room treatments are probably my favorite value upgrade 'cause they affect all sources.

Music and contentment is the ultimate goal but always keep one eye open for that next great thing (or not).

1 Like

When it comes to tweaking speaker and listener positions, along with room treatments, there seems to be no end to the amount of fine tuning one can do, which can result in incremental, and sometimes huge improvements in sound quality.
I thought I had my system pretty much dialed in, but I’m sitting here now slack jawed at the improvements I’m hearing, and just how much unrealized potential was left on the table.

A few minor adjustments in speaker placement, listening position, and rearranging room treatments, has elevated my system to a whole new level, and best of all it didn’t cost one red cent.

4 Likes

My new audio rack has cut down the noise by a lot. I found the SQ is getting smoother to a point of being too polite. I spent the morning to readjust the sorbothane rings, various PC supports, and equipment supports.

I replaced quite a few sorbothane .5" discs with 1/8" sorbo. sheet at many locations to bring the SQ alive again. Sometimes too much vibration damping may deaden the sound too much. A few examples:

Sorbothane disc on top of metal post is still the best footer for PST.

I had to remove the sorbo. disc and replace it with small sheets to bring the SQ alive on the streamer.
By the way, these supports do not work for DAC and Pre in my system. IsoAcoustic pods work better!

These supports for PC and cables still help greatly. Sorbo. discs vs. sheets made a SQ difference too.

3 Likes

I hope I can never hear the kind of differences you report on.

:wink: :rofl:

5 Likes

Having to retweak everything is another reason not to replace the rack. Thanks for saving me time and money. The interesting thing about too much Sorbothane is if you overload its thickness with weight it will get more live as will getting it too thick and under loaded.

Your tweaks are very industrial design and nice looking . Another reason to keep mine hidden. everytime I think of new rack I buy something else like a Bacch dsp or expensive cable.

1 Like

Ha!

Note to self: Never upgrade my equipment rack.

Check.

2 Likes

Tweak…what tweak…? :innocent: :grinning:

Best wishes

It’s a never-ending story… and I like it. It is a healthy hobby (not for finances) there will always be progress and improvements…

We started 2023 with a fuse change for the MKII and P15, improvements in digital connection with EtherRegen + external clock + LPS, ethernet cable update for the streamer.

Today deciding when to install the 3M paper and looking between eyebrows at the Bacch4 mac.

Tomorrow I do not know…

2 Likes

While the SR Master settled in, I searched the internet for hi-fi accessories. My main topic was EMC and sound improvement with minerals. Some manufacturers offer something like this for Hifi with high prices. I was looking for alternatives that didn’t have a hi-fi surcharge. I found what I was looking for on Amazon. 10 shungite pyramids for €51. To try. Shungite stone is made of carbon and conducts electricity. I also ordered tourmaline stones at the same time. My thoughts are to build RCA terminators or a ground box. I am enthusiastic about the chips for cell phone and device interference suppression. Glued them next to the tweeter. It seems to me that the treble has become more integrated and the whole sound has become more spatial. a few other chips distributed to the devices. Also on the pole terminals of the speakers. I need more of the chips. And the chips with the packaging could also come from the hifi dealer with the quantum technology for several 100 €.:joy:

5 Likes