When playing a FLAC file through ROON the DS displays it is playing a WAV file. Why?

Here’s a Roon screenshot.

The words “same issue” would indicate you have run this in multiple configurations and still the “same issue”. However, I don’t see evidence you have run this in a different configuration. So I’m left to conclude you had this issue to start with the WIN 10 computer?

Correct

This is what displays on the DS.

OK, see the issue you see now. My DS DAC says wav top as yours does and has PCM 192/24… the sample rate and bit depth changes, letting me know it is decoded properly, the word wav shows up…

Never really paid attention to that because of the change in sample rate and bit depth. That is a SW bug. Now who is responsible?

Yes, you are correct and I have just verified it as a bug. weird, never paid attention to the little wav on top of the display, just the sample rate and bit depth.

You see, that is really screwy.

I wish PS Audio would fix this.

Please!

Ron

The bridge II is coding it properly because when I change to a wav file I see 44.1/24 for decoding every time… yes, that is a bug… let me look at dsf to see if it is there…

DSF file changes to DOP where wav was with DSD64 decoding. So, I think it is a display bug, just don’t know if Roon or PSA is responsible?

Thanks for the deep dive on that. While a frustrating bug, I’m glad to know it’s not something affecting performance.

MP3 display as wav also

No, doesn’t look like a bridge II decoding or performance issue, just a DS DAC display issue. The larger question: is it a PSA coding bug or an issue with how Roon is sending a variable to be decoded… don’t know… since Ron asked PSA back in July and the support said that is the way it should work (NFW); I assume it is not a performance issue.

Thanks Ron for helping PSA work code verification… :slight_smile:

So, what does DOP mean when I send over a DSF file?
OK; I’m not an audiophile snob; I have no mp3 files in my SSD… :slight_smile:
All I have is wav, DSF, hi-res flac, and some flac… in my SSD

OK, so this goes on the PSA DS DAC & Bridge II SW bug list…

The DSD-Over-PCM Standard
Thanks to the major computer operating systems, Microsoft Windows and Apple OSX, there is no established audio playback system except PCM. So to play back a DSD file without converting it to PCM, a group of experts devised a way to fool the computer’s PCM playback system into playing DSD files in their native format. This group called their solution DSD over PCM , which was quickly reduced to the acronym DoP . To play DSD files in their native format (i.e., not converted to PCM), you need a suitably equipped DAC and server. The rendering part of the server must read DSD files from storage and produce a DoP-encoded signal to send to the DAC. The DAC must recognize the DoP signal and convert it to an analog output the rest of your audio system can handle. This should all be transparent to users, who should only have to create a playlist for the server, just as they now do for PCM files.

1 Like

Thank You… so the flac & mp3 files show up as wav indication when they are actually decoded properly… the SW bucket list

Thanks.

I am relieved it was only one other user here and reported once back in February.

I believe all files other than DSD show as wav

1 Like

@elk - love this community… working quickly to get a handle on this… thought Ron was smoking crack till I looked at it closely and sure enough… looks like a very pesky SW display bug…

Very good job Ron!

Now every time you look at the display you will see the WAV :see_no_evil:

Sorry.

Ron

1 Like

yes, this will now bother me every time… just glad it was not a big issue…

Yes, excellent detective work.

I am curious as to what specifically is going on.

@elk - yeah, I did not notice it till Ron pointed it out and it was not a performance issue. How many really pay attention to the small DOP/wav/flac on the top of the display. Heck, I have my display off 90% of the time.

Could be a Roon issue or could be PSA interpreting the wrong variable, or could be a coding error. What we need is a vote… We need to bring in the big guns - set up a vote on this one! We have to engage the Vote-Master…