When playing a FLAC file through ROON the DS displays it is playing a WAV file. Why?

BOOM! Sherlock got nothing on us… :slight_smile:

So who’s going to fix this please?

Ron

For that I’m playing Stone Temple Pilots -Dead & Bloated…

I guess this is a PSA follow up w/ Roon SW issue… log it in GIT-Hub and move on

I doubt it will be fixed, regardless of cause, unless it is simple to do so. It is exceedingly trivial in the Great Scheme.

Mine does the same as your with Tidal FLAC files and with local library files.

Obviously Roon is removing the FLAC envelope

I dare you to install Roon and look at that WAV. :scream:

I submitted a support service request with PS Audio and will let you know.

Ron

I’m safe. In addition to leaving the display off, I will never install Roon.

I don’t think this is a PS Audio problem as you’ve already figured out. I would place a support ticket with Roon.

1 Like

Hey Paul, thanks for chiming in.

Do you use Roon with the DS and Bridge II?

Ron

Here’s the response from Roon — Roon is designed to decompress the FLAC before sending the PCM data to a DAC. This is a feature, not a problem.

Yep. It’s nothing to worry about since your Roon Core has decoded the FLAC file, upstream of the Bridge II.

In the case of mConnect, the Bridge II will do the decoding but it shows the ‘incoming’ file as FLAC, before it decodes it.

So as Peter mentioned, it’s a feature, not a problem. So everything is good.

1 Like

As I predicted, both the Roon app and the DAC are correct. The DS displays what it receives and cares not a whit from where the signal originates. If it receives a Wav file it reports this to be the case.

1 Like

I only wish it didn’t display that.

Why? It is correct information. It is exactly what the DAC should display.

Roon informs you the original file format is Flac. This is also correct.

1 Like

I’d rather see displayed what the original file was — flac, aif, wav, mp3, etc.

It has to display what it receives. Otherwise you wouldn’t know if the transcoding was occurring correctly. As I mentioned earlier, JRiver gives you the choice. The DSD display lets you know if transcoding is selected or not.

The DAC has no idea the format of the original file; it knows only what it is being fed - which is as it should be.

The Roon app displays the format of the original file.

Between the two, you know the original format is Flac and that Roon is processing the file, changing it to Wav.

“Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes possibles.”
- Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz

1 Like

The DS is displaying the file format it see’s and I just learned it’s a normal function of Roon to decode the flac file into PCM (wav), but I’d rather see displayed the original file format.

I had a conflict with JRiver losing my network connection with the BridgeII in July during the 30 day trial, hence I tried Roon and it kept the connection.

Since Roon is different (special?) than everybody else, I wish PS Audio had a special Roon option to display the original file format instead. That wav display is driving some people crazy. :scream:

Maybe Paul’s crew can work on that?