Where PowerPlants might not excel

Okay.
Max power consumption… Right. In what circumstances would the SET (let’s say the 2W AN Paladin, again), consume that much and why? Surely not when swinging that full 2W output? That’d enable a constant 270VA with a constant input signal matching the input sensitivity… Or brief >2W transient peaks which it’s surely capable of? Or is it even capable of that (without clipping), being pure Class A?
I’m confused in trying to understand what are situations aside from max output delivery, that draw the most power for such an amp. Starting it up…?
Idle power consumption - does that refer to the device in a specific “idle mode”, whatever it means for a given device, or does it simply refer to power consumption with no input signal? It’s often left unspecified.

What would be a fair rule of thumb for the efficiency of classical SET amps? A bit of googling and they’re saying 25% is what is practically reached with Class A, but that discussion wasn’t particularly about SETs.

Please do some research on SET if that’s what you are interested in. We have given you correct answers, but every time there are more questions. The answers are correct. People use PowerPlants and SET isn’t a problem for them.

Also look up “crest factor”

A wild guess for run of the mill SETs is that they are between 15% and 25% power efficient. A SET amp is class A.

5 Likes

Ted

He actually doesn’t want answers. He just wants to keep asking obtuse questions apparently out of boredom. His Audio Physics speakers wouldn’t work with the “average” SET amp anyway so this whole line of questions are senseless.

2 Likes

Oh, please.
I am not especially knowledgeable, so I ask questions. Am I wasting Ted Smith’s time? He wants to give good well-put answers, it’s not like I’m bothering him. Besides it wouldn’t even take a world-class expert to answer these questions. Just happens that one is answering them.
But I’m knowledgeable enough to know that my Audio Physic speakers would work with say an 8W SET well enough.

And thanks Ted. I believe (and am starting to understand) now that an amplifier with a given rated maximum power consumption nearing the continuous output of a P3 isn’t a problem.
(This is what I believed for a long time - just recently I felt a need to question it due to commentary from others. Then arose the disappointing feeling: am I not saving up for a P3 after all? Turns out that now I am, again.)

Arenith, my comment was was based more on empirical and opportunistic factors. My background is in design of electronic systems for military use, wherein we have military standards for component derating for reliability. The standards for passive components typically derate to between 55-70% of the device’s rated capability. Active devices are typically closer to 50%. So my comment was a sort of “broad brush” - figure what your possible maximum sustained power draw is for your entire system, and if you can afford it (the opportunistic part), double it. Has nothing to do with audiophilia or sonics, just a very conservative basis for long term reliability. The fact that the Power Plants sound better as you go up the line doesn’t hurt! :grinning:

1 Like