Which Power Plant to Buy?

Paul, any ETA on the updated P10 specs? Changes? I assume you will do an announcement of some sort?

Oh it’ll be another month or so.

Does anybody know, do the P5 and P10 feature star grounding; or is that not really necessary on a Regenerator? Thanks.

They both do but it isn’t necessary. A nice necessity. You do need something either starred or heavy to connect the regenerator to the outlets. It is the extremely low output impedance of the regenerator that matters to sound quality and that cannot be made worse by poor wiring. Inside the new P20, for example, we use 1/4" thick copper bus bars to get even lower impedance.

Thank you Paul for clearing up the details about output impedance and it’s importance.

FYI, an engineer on Computer Audiophile has created a cult of people plugging in cheap power strips into their power plants (and plugging all of their equipment into the power strip) for the sole goal of reducing leakage current interaction. This undoubtedly is altering the output impedance.

Indeed and not something I would recommend.

Paul McGowan said

Oh it’ll be another month or so.

Hi Paul,

Will the current pricing hold for the new P5/P10?

thanks.

No, they will go up in price. I had hoped we could keep them the same but unfortunately, parts costs have risen and we’ve managed to keep the price the same despite rising costs. Now it’ll be time to raise them, though I don’t yet know to what.

Paul, any thoughts on the new P5/P10/P20 being on display or use at AXPONA?

All the above. Yup.

Paul, I have held off on a P10 for almost a year. Didn’t know why I kept, avoiding the purchase. But now I do. I am anxious to read the new specs and improvements. I hope to see a P10 in my system in April??

Not sure when they’ll launch but April to May sounds about right. The specs in terms of wattage and output capabilities and physical appearance are the same. The performance will be enhanced with our new servo tracking DSD engine inside.

Paul McGowan said

Damn. I’ll bet I just copied and pasted the specs when building the form then promptly forgot to update the individual impedance specs. Thanks Elk.

Paul McGowan said

Output impedance and power supply grunt. The P10 has half the output impedance, or put another way, more than double the regulation. This seems to be one of the biggest indicators of how a system sounds when connected to a Power Plant. Take for instance the new P20. This thing has even lower output impedance and by a significant amount lower than any Power Plant we’ve ever made or heard and the results are extraordinary.

Even a single DAC or a single power amplifier running on a P20, vs. a P10, vs. a P5 is noticeably improved, one over the other. Don’t think of Power Plants in terms of their abilities to handle the load. Use that as only the minimum spec. Choose which model based on the level of performance you’re willing to afford. In other words, if all three Power Plants were adequate at a minimum to handle your system load, then the choice comes down to how much you’re willing to invest in sound quality, with the P20 being the ultimate expression of improvement and foundational support possible.

Ah that’s it. I went over the specs between the P5 and P10 and couldn’t see why with my system I would ever need a P10. Now I understand and I’ll stack my nickels a little longer. Thank you Paul.

Paul McGowan said

Not sure when they’ll launch but April to May sounds about right. The specs in terms of wattage and output capabilities and physical appearance are the same. The performance will be enhanced with our new servo tracking DSD engine inside.

With the original specs - output impedance, etc. - staying the same, it appears that the only “upgrade” is the DSD engine you note. Did I understand that correctly?

And how does that feature augment performance?

There are actually a number of upgrades some significant, others subtle. For example the way the AC outlets are wired is a big change. In the P10 we went to the same 1/4" gold plated copper buss bars used in the P20. The P5 doesn’t get the same thick copper but wire too has been eliminated in it with buss bar techniques too. This turns out to make a significant difference in sound quality. In addition to the new DSD engine, the output amplifier has been revamped to increase the feedback by 40% and lower both distortion and impedance similar amounts. I could go on, but it’s a fairly major upgrade.

Paul…Do I understand correctly that the P5 will be getting the DSD engine as well? Thanks.

Put me down for one! P10happy-048_gif

calord said

Paul…Do I understand correctly that the P5 will be getting the DSD engine as well? Thanks.

Yes sir. All new insides, just like the P10.

I’m considering a P10, but I see that the maximum draw for my Bryston 6B-SST2 alone is over 2000 watts! Does that disqualify the P10? I don’t want to spend the price of a P20.

No, not at all, and the Bryston’s, well, not sure where they get that. The amp has a 15 amp IEC inlet which can provide no more than about 1600 watts on a good day (for starters). Secondly, that figure likely only on start up which is no problem. Third, even if it were accurate, you’d never crank that amp up to match that current draw because your speakers would be halfway around the room.

A P10 will be just fine. Guaranteed.